Skip to content

Create a dynamic category list

Moved Let's Build It
  • @DownPW has just pointed out a valid issue here. If you have lots of categories, then the list can easily extend the browser window, and if you resize the browser, you won’t be able to access it properly. For this to work, you’d need to apply custom CSS to that - for example, the below, but it should only be applied at a minimum of 1200px so will need to use a media class.

li#thecategories {
            min-width: 250px;
            font-size: 90%;
            overflow: auto;
            height: calc(100vh - 110px);
        }

This specific CSS calculates the height of the browser window, then removes some of it to allow for the bottom bar in desktop view (note that you might not be using this, so you’ll need to adjust the calc value as you see fit).

• I’ll revise the original post to reflect this

• I’ve been playing around with this today, and created a “tree” view

image.png

• If you’d like the code for this, then it’s below (it’s essentially a “fork” of the original to allow for extra classes)

JS

$(document).ready(function() {
        $.getJSON('/api/categories', function(data, status) {
            $.each(data.categories, function(key, value) {
                var categorylist = $(" \
    	<li class='dropdown-item tree-root'><span class='category-menu'><i class='fal " + this.icon + "'></i><a style='display: inherit;' class='dropdown-item rounded-1' href='/category/" + this.slug + "'>" + this.name + "</a></span></li> \
    		<ul class='tree-branch' style='list-style: none;'>" +
                    this.children.map(c => `<li class='dropdown-item tree-node'><span class='category-menu-tree-node'><i class='fal ${c.icon}'></i><a class='dropdown-item rounded-1' style='display: inherit;' href='/category/${c.slug}'>${c.name}</a></span></li>`).join(" ") +
                    "</ul>"
                );
                if ($(window).width() < 767) {
                    $(".bottombar #thecategories").append(categorylist);
                } else {
                    $(".sidebar-left #thecategories").append(categorylist);
                }
            });
        });
    });

CSS

ul.tree-branch {
        border-left: 1px solid var(--bs-border-color);
        margin-left: 22px;
    }
    li.tree-node:before {
        border-bottom: 1px solid var(--bs-border-color);
        position: relative;
        top: -0.3em;
        height: 1em;
        width: 30px;
        content: "";
        display: inline-block;
        left: -48px;
    }
    span.category-menu-tree-node {
        margin-left: -35px;
    }

NOTE: I use variables for all of my CSS, so you’ll need to substitute var with your own HEX values. Also note, that you still need the original CSS from the first post for this to work - what is listed above only provides you with the tree, branches, and nodes effect.

• This looks so cool, thanks @phenomlab @DownPW

• @phenomlab is there something wrong with the category list panel?

edit: it is fixed now. When I minimize the screen size on my computer and then expand it again, the panel goes blank. But it is fixed when I refresh the page, I guess this is something expected.

• @crazycells No, not at all. I can’t reproduce this, but that does sound like a hardware acceleration issue. What happens if you disable that (I’m assuming Chrome here if of course, but the same applies for other browsers)

https://pureinfotech.com/disable-hardware-acceleration-chrome/

• @phenomlab sorry, my mistake, it is fixed now.
    I am using Firefox, but this morning I needed to restart to update Firefox, so I believe I was having the problem yesterday night because of the outdated browser.

• @crazycells Good. Glad to hear it’s an even simpler fix 🙂

• phenomlabundefined phenomlab moved this topic from Customisation on
  • Just circling back here as I’ve been helping @cagatay this morning on his site, and noticed that if you use a mixture of fa-brands and fa-solid then the code supplied above may produce some odd looking results.

If this is the case, replace the function with this

$(document).ready(function() {
        $.getJSON('/api/categories', function(data, status) {
            $.each(data.categories, function(key, value) {
                var iconClass = 'fa'; // Default to 'fa' if the icon type is not recognized

// Check if the icon is FontAwesome Unicode
                if (this.icon.startsWith('&#x') || this.icon.startsWith('&#xf')) {
                    iconClass = 'fa';
                } else if (this.icon.startsWith('fab')) {
                    iconClass = 'fab';
                }

var categorylist = $(" \
        <li class='dropdown-item tree-root'><span class='category-menu'><i class='" + iconClass + " " + this.icon + "'></i><a style='display: inherit;' class='dropdown-item rounded-1' href='/category/" + this.slug + "'>" + this.name + "</a></span></li> \
            <ul class='tree-branch' style='list-style: none;'>" +
                    this.children.map(c => {
                        var childIconClass = 'fa'; // Default to 'fa' for child icons

// Check if the child icon is FontAwesome Unicode
                        if (c.icon.startsWith('&#x') || c.icon.startsWith('&#xf')) {
                            childIconClass = 'fas';
                        } else if (c.icon.startsWith('fab')) {
                            childIconClass = 'fab';
                        }

return `<li class='dropdown-item tree-node'><span class='category-menu-tree-node'><i class='${childIconClass} ${c.icon}'></i><a class='dropdown-item rounded-1' style='display: inherit;' href='/category/${c.slug}'>${c.name}</a></span></li>`;
                    }).join(" ") +
                    "</ul>"
                );

if ($(window).width() < 767) {
                    $(".bottombar #thecategories").append(categorylist);
                } else {
                    $(".sidebar-left #thecategories").append(categorylist);
                }
            });
        });
    });

In fact, if you want to replace it anyway to make your experience “future proof”, you can use this code now 🙂

• 5 Votes
    3 Posts

Very good like always 😉

• 1 Votes
    26 Posts
    1k Views

Yes ogproxy too is functionnal on dev

• 15 Votes
    27 Posts
    1k Views

For anyone else coming here and is struggling to get pm2 to work with Umami (as I did - it started, but never seemed to work after a reboot which is pretty useless), you can use the below. Obviously, change the parts noted inside the [brackets]. Follow the below instructions:

Instructions

Open a terminal and create a new systemd service file:

sudo nano /etc/systemd/system/umami.service

Add the following content to the file:

[Unit] Description=Umami Analytics Server After=network.target [Service] Type=simple User=[umami user] WorkingDirectory=[path to umami] ExecStart=/usr/local/bin/node [path to umami]/node_modules/.bin/next start Restart=on-failure [Install] WantedBy=multi-user.target

Replace [umami user] with the username of the user that should run the Umami service, and [path to umami] with the actual path to your Umami installation.

Save the file and exit the editor.

Reload the systemd manager configuration:

sudo systemctl daemon-reload

Enable the Umami service to start on boot:

sudo systemctl enable umami.service

Start the Umami service:

sudo systemctl start umami.service

You can check the status of the service with:

sudo systemctl status umami.service

This systemd service file will ensure that Umami starts automatically when the system boots, and it will restart the service if it fails. Remember to adjust the WorkingDirectory and ExecStart paths according to where Umami is installed on your system, and ensure that Node.js is installed and accessible at /usr/bin/node (or adjust the path to Node.js as necessary).

• 15 Votes
    51 Posts
    2k Views

Oh yes, that’s what’s super cool, I learn something every day. Afterwards I start from so low in JS

• 20 Votes
    28 Posts

thanks Mark.

• About this category

Pinned Let's Build It
    2 Votes
    5 Posts

I’m going to be adding some new posts to the labs category, and will use this going forward when writing code that could easily be adopted by others (a great example is the OGProxy, which I will move here).

If you have any ideas of would like a walkthrough of how to set something up, then this is the place it should go.

• 0 Votes
    1 Posts
    No one has replied
  • 4 Votes
    10 Posts

@phenomlab yeah its a beautiful world, i’m trying to have some practice

https://rapidapi.com/user/justoverclockl

i’ve released two simple api for now, but i’m try to learn as much as i can 🙂