Skip to content

Plugin to show images in teasers

General
  • Hi,

I’ve posted this on nodebb before but was hoping to get more response here if anyone is interested. 🙂

I was searching for a solution to show images, especially custom emojis, in teasers. Right now custom emojis or images are shown like “xyz.png” or “:emoji1:”:

Screenshot 2023-06-08 at 12-39-45 Kategorien.png

Regular emojis from emoji packs are displayed, I guess because the browser interprets ASCII.

I’ve then created a plugin using an intended solution found here. It should remove the img-tag from the configureStripTags Hook.

Unfortunately there is no impact to the recent cards plugin or any other teasers. No regarding error or warning found in the nodebb log. This is part of the log when I run ./nodebb dev:

verbose: [plugins] Loaded plugin: nodebb-plugin-teaser-image

verbose: [plugins/fireHook] filter:teasers.configureStripTags

Plugin is as basic as it can be:

index.js:

'use strict';

var plugin = {};

plugin.filterTeasersConfigureStripTags = async function (hookData) {
      // Check if the "img" tag is present in the tags array
      if (hookData.tags.includes('img')) {
        // Remove the "img" tag from the tags array
        hookData.tags = hookData.tags.filter(tag => tag !== 'img');
      }

return hookData;
    };

module.exports = plugin;

package.json:

{
      "name": "nodebb-plugin-teaser-image",
      "version": "1.0.0",
      "description": "NodeBB Plugin to show images in teasers",
      "main": "index.js",
      "dependencies": {},
      "nbbpm": {
        "compatibility": "^1.0.0 || ^2.0.0 || ^3.0.0"
      }
    }

plugin.json:

{
      "id": "nodebb-plugin-teaser-image",
      "name": "Show images in Teasers",
      "description": "A NodeBB plugin to show images in teasers",
      "version": "1.0.0",
      "hooks": [
        {
          "hook": "filter:teasers.configureStripTags",
          "method": "filterTeasersConfigureStripTags"
        }
      ]
    }

Anything I have overlooked or any more information I could add? From my understanding, this should already work. 🤔 Help is appreciated. I don’t have a github link yet, If anyone wants to try you can just create a folder in node_modules and add the above files.

• @dave1904 there’s nothing wrong with the plugin you’ve written, but seeing as it’s a server side hook, have you changed the plugin load order so that yours is the last to load?

It could well be that your plugin is being overridden by another.

• @phenomlab said in Plugin to show images in teasers:

have you changed the plugin load order so that yours is the last to load?

Yes I did, the plugin is last in the plugin order list.

• @dave1904 have you considered doing this client side? You could fairly easily manipulate the element in question using js.

Admittedly, anyone using your site without script access won’t be able to leverage this, but it’s an acceptable solution.

• Thank you @phenomlab

Client side development is something I would consider but I don’t like it when things don’t work and especially when I don’t know why they don’t work. Do you maybe have any idea where I could have a look for more troubleshooting? I see that the hook is fired but can I see anywhere what the hook is doing in detail?

• @dave1904 I’d start by adding a console.log function to hookData so you can see what is being returned

return hookData;
    console.log(hookData):

• 4 Votes
    4 Posts

@Norrad Are you looking for anything in particular? I only ask because Sudonix uses a number of custom functions which I wrote, but all are available on GitHub and fully supported here.

• 1 Votes
    4 Posts

@Vijay-Kumavat-0 I think you’d be better off customising the plugin above to be honest. It seems like you’d be reinventing the wheel otherwise.

I’d modify

/nodebb/node_modules/nodebb-rewards-essentials/lib/conditions.js
    /nodebb/node_modules/nodebb-rewards-essentials/lib/rewards.js

These seem to be the two files that control what is in the dropdown lists.

• 12 Votes
    47 Posts
    2k Views

@dave1904 just coming back to this thread as @DownPW and I both experienced issues with other plugins today, and the fix was to use the plugin ordering in the ACP and move the Harmony theme to the very top so it comes before everything else in terms of other plugins.

It might be worth at least trying this to see if it gives you a result rather than the previous bulldozer approach. Thinking about it, the previous fix I proposed is along the same lines and disabling plugins does in fact change the order when they are enabled again, so this is definitely worth a try.

Let me know how you get on.

• 0 Votes
    5 Posts

@mventures Yes, exactly. The other icon will restart NodeBB whilst the first icon I referenced will rebuild (recompile) it.

The huge strength of NodeBB over Flarum (for example) is that the code is precompiled, and called once at boot. PHP’s code has to repeatedly reload code from source making it much slower.

• 3 Votes
    13 Posts

@DownPW Hmm - it’ll work with iFramely (locally hosted), or you can use the below string to embed using https://community.nodebb.org/topic/7135/nodebb-plugin-ns-embed-ns-embed/114

Watch (?:<a.*?)?(?:https?:\/\/)?(?:www\.)?dailymotion\.com\/video\/([a-zA-Z0-9_-]{4,11})(?:.*?\/a>)? Replace <div class='embed-wrapper'><div class='embed-container'><iframe src='//www.dailymotion.com/embed/video/$1' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen></iframe></div></div>

4f5f13f7-0c73-460e-b32f-f974f170b236-image.png

• Tenor GIF Plugin

Solved Customisation
    5 Votes
    19 Posts

@phenomlab Also for me now 🙂 Upgraded in ACP and all good . Thx.

• Link vs Refresh

Solved Customisation
    8 Votes
    20 Posts

@pobojmoks Do you see any errors being reported in the console ? At first guess (without seeing the actual code or the site itself), I’d say that this is AJAX callback related

• 7 Votes
    18 Posts
    1k Views

@phenomlab thanks 🙂