Skip to content

Smart Widgets

Solved Configure
  • I have an idea for a smart Widget,

1. Without getting into the details of that yet, here is a more basic widget idea as an example.
      Lets say my html /js widget says
      ctx.fillText(“Hello”)
      Is there a global variable that the js can access to get say, current logged in name?
      So in this example, you could put
      ctx.fillText(“Hello”+userName) in the widget code.

2. I notice Sudonix has a Yellow box widget ‘Looks like your connection was lost…’
      What js command is used in the Widget to pick up when connection drops?

• @Panda said in Smart Widgets:

Is there a global variable that the js can access to get say, current logged in name?
    So in this example, you could put
    ctx.fillText(“Hello”+userName) in the widget code.

Yes, if you visit this site on a desktop, you’ll see that there is a footer bar that uses this exact function to display the logged in username.

More detail here
    https://sudonix.org/topic/314/bottom-footer-navbar-button-extend/17?_=1685477223864

I notice Sudonix has a Yellow box widget ‘Looks like your connection was lost…’
    What js command is used in the Widget to pick up when connection drops

It’s a command from NodeBB core that uses socket.io

• Thanks, I read through those posts. I tend to do more in js on canvas than CSS etc, and definitely dont want to use Jquery!
    So in my simple ctx.fillText(‘name=’+ …
    example what variable holds the username? Or is it more complicated than that?

• Pandaundefined Panda has marked this topic as solved on

So in my simple ctx.fillText(‘name=’+ …
    example what variable holds the username? Or is it more complicated than that?

You could expose it this way

function updateUsername() {
            $('.getUsername .username').text(app.user.username);
            $('.topicUsername').text(app.user.username);
        }
        if (document.readyState === 'loading') {
            document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', updateUsername);
        } else {
            updateUsername();
        }

So in your use case, it would be

ctx.fillText('name='+app.user.username);

definitely dont want to use Jquery!

Any specific reason for this?

• I like to do things Vanilla unless there is real need for a library.
    Thats what I most disliked about Nextjs, even a basic project starts with a directory full of autogenerated files, and I had so many times when nothing was working.
    What would be the non-JQ way of doing this please?
    $(‘.getUsername .username’).text(app.user.username);

chatgpt tells me
    document.querySelector(‘.getUsername.username’).textContent=app.user.username

So that seems just as easy, so why use JQ?

So that seems just as easy, so why use JQ?

Because the library is already loaded in NodeBB, and forms a major part of the platform.

https://community.nodebb.org/topic/17117/what-s-next-after-v3/17?_=1685522832798

• Thanks. it worked. Actually It turned out
    ct1.fillText(app.user.username … etc
    worked without even running that function to ‘expose it’
    So why is that, or conversely why would the function to expose username ever be required, as it seems app.user is already an available global object?

So why is that, or conversely why would the function to expose username ever be required, as it seems app.user is already an available global object?

It is, yes, but not if you are using it outside of a widget. The function I wrote is also historical and comes from the 2.x train 🙂

Did this solution help you?
Did you find the suggested solution useful? Why not buy me a coffee? It's a nice gesture, and a great way to show your appreciation 💗

• Fixed background to nodebb forum

Solved Configure
    4 Votes
    25 Posts
    1k Views

@Panda said in Fixed background to nodebb forum:

Chatgpt told me the ::before method.

Go figure 😛

• 1 Votes
    23 Posts
    1k Views

@DownPW it’s your only realistic option at this stage.

• SEO and Nodebb

Performance
    2 Votes
    2 Posts

@Panda It’s the best it’s ever been to be honest. I’ve used a myriad of systems in the past - most notably, WordPress, and then Flarum (which for SEO, was absolutely dire - they never even had SEO out of the box, and relied on a third party extension to do it), and NodeBB easily fares the best - see below example

https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Asudonix.org&oq=site%3Asudonix.org&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i60j69i58j69i60l2.9039j0j3&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#ip=1

However, this was not without significant effort on my part once I’d migrated from COM to ORG - see below posts

https://community.nodebb.org/topic/17286/google-crawl-error-after-site-migration/17?_=1688461250365

And also

https://support.google.com/webmasters/thread/221027803?hl=en&msgid=221464164

It was painful to say the least - as it turns out, there was an issue in NodeBB core that prevented spiders from getting to content, which as far as I understand, is now fixed. SEO in itself is a dark art - a black box that nobody really fully understands, and it’s essentially going to boil down to one thing - “content”.

Google’s algorithm for indexing has also changed dramatically over the years. They only now crawl content that has value, so if it believes that your site has nothing to offer, it will simply skip it.

• Where are widgets stored?

Solved Configure
    1 Votes
    3 Posts

@phenomlab Thanks, have DMed you

• 0 Votes
    5 Posts

@Panda as, yes, now I understand and that makes 100% sense. It means those who get down voted can still have an opinion and use common services.

And yes, you’re right. Rather than down vote, just ignore if you don’t agree.

• Further Widgets question

Solved Configure
    1 Votes
    4 Posts

@Panda category is for a category in its own, so for example, “fruit” whereas categories is the page that contains all categories as a list.

• Forum Icons NodeBB

Solved Customisation
    0 Votes
    13 Posts

@cagatay That matches what I see

4f0f858d-9812-42b1-9f61-ffb13d31dccd-image.png

• NodeBB inline videoplayer

Solved Customisation
    3 Votes
    12 Posts

@phenomlab
    YAY! It works