Skip to content

Browsing without a VPN? Think Twice...

Moved Security
  • Why is a VPN so important ?

Picture this. You’re surfing the web at home, minding your own business, and suddenly a raft of unexpected adverts relating to what you’ve been looking at on the web appear in front of you as soon as you visit another site, or perhaps take a break and come back to your browser session later… As invasive as this sounds, it’s not uncommon by any stretch of the imagination - neither is the sale of your browsing history to third parties - and even worse, such activity isn’t illegal. Ok, so your smart… you open an Incognito browser session, so now nobody can see what you’re doing, right ?

Wrong.

The Incognito browser session doesn’t record anything locally on your PC, and will destroy all browsing evidence as soon as you close that tab, but don’t be under any illusion (or let anyone convince you otherwise) that your browsing activities are masked from the outside world. They aren’t. All internet requests will spool through your internet service provider. They can see all of your browsing activity, what sites you’ve been to, what you’ve been looking at etc, etc. so full privacy in this case is a misconception. The only way to stay truly anonymous anywhere in this digital world is to live completely off the grid in a forest somewhere. No cell phone, no address, no internet, nothing - especially not social media. However, whilst we all want privacy, yet have no real intentions of getting back to nature and basics in order to maintain that, what’s the next best thing ?

Use a VPN to surf the web

The foremost solution to the privacy conundrum is to use a VPN service to surf the web. Your ISP (Internet Service Provider) will know what IP Address you have been issued, and will see that you are connected to a VPN service, but owing to the nature of the traffic being encrypted between your machine and the VPN endpoint, the ISP will not be able to see or inspect any of the resultant traffic. Sounds great, right ? Yes, of course it does, and there are plenty of providers out there that will offer this service relatively cheaply. A VPN is also used to work around GEO fencing (geographical restrictions applied to services such as Netflix to prevent access to US based content from another country for example) - when you are connected to the VPN, you are connected to a US based endpoint, meaning Netflix thinks you are in the US, and then serves the content as a result. Netflix has some of the toughest GEO restrictions in place, but there are a small handful of providers who are able to bypass this - some even have a high success rate in China.

The downside to the cheaper VPN’s is that they can actually see what you are accessing, and therefore, could provide this to external parties, or divulge it at the request of a subpoena. Worse still, that VPN which is supposed to mask your activity in fact is doing the opposite in the sense that although the ISP can no longer see what you are doing, the VPN operator can. When you are looking for a VPN service, it’s important to choose one that offers privacy and security. One that immediately springs to mind for me (and yes, I use this myself on all PC’s and my cell phone) is NordVPN. The real reason for this is that the company is based in Panama - a privacy haven by default, and does not log any of your traffic. They have two independent audits completed by one of the big 4 firms (PwC), and also a well known security firm. Both entities drew the same conclusion - NordVPN does not keep logs of user activity, and it does not track you either.

To anyone else reading this thread and thinking that this isn’t true, then you’ve never been through an audit in your life 😀 . If you claim to do something and then can’t prove it in an audit, you’ll fail that same process and you’ll be out of business before you know it owing to a loss of client trust and confidence alone. It’s important to note that, auditing is a double edged sword. Sure, you are stating your compliance to a set of narratives (direct instructions exactly how you conduct business, and the operation itself), but auditors will look for any chink in the armour - this is what they are paid to do. This is why you never self audit, but always gain independent attestation of your controls by a third party with no bias.

Currently, NordVPN do log some activity to disk (nothing that identifies you or your browsing session) so that does raise the question of retention etc, but is shortly moving to a RAM based model where once the server has been rebooted, all traces of any activity are forensically destroyed.

I was going to write a review about my favourite VPN service (NordVPN), but seeing as VPN Mentor beat me to it 🙂 I’ll just leave this here. It’s very thorough, and a great read.

https://www.vpnmentor.com/reviews/nordvpn/

• @gotwf @jac interested to get your perspectives on this.

• @phenomlab The topic presents many a sticky wickets. I need to focus on else for a bit but will try to oblige in next couple days.

• @gotwf no problems. Thanks

• @phenomlab said in Browsing without a VPN? Think Twice...:

vpn.webp

Why is a VPN so important ?

Picture this. You’re surfing the web at home, minding your own business, and suddenly a raft of unexpected adverts relating to what you’ve been looking at on the web appear in front of you as soon as you visit another site, or perhaps take a break and come back to your browser session later… As invasive as this sounds, it’s not uncommon by any stretch of the imagination - neither is the sale of your browsing history to third parties - and even worse, such activity isn’t illegal. Ok, so your smart… you open an Incognito browser session, so now nobody can see what you’re doing, right ?

Wrong.

The Incognito browser session doesn’t record anything locally on your PC, and will destroy all browsing evidence as soon as you close that tab, but don’t be under any illusion (or let anyone convince you otherwise) that your browsing activities are masked from the outside world. They aren’t. All internet requests will spool through your internet service provider. They can see all of your browsing activity, what sites you’ve been to, what you’ve been looking at etc, etc. so full privacy in this case is a misconception. The only way to stay truly anonymous anywhere in this digital world is to live completely off the grid in a forest somewhere. No cell phone, no address, no internet, nothing - especially not social media. However, whilst we all want privacy, yet have no real intentions of getting back to nature and basics in order to maintain that, what’s the next best thing ?

The foremost solution to the privacy conundrum is to use a VPN service to surf the web. Your ISP (Internet Service Provider) will know what IP Address you have been issued, and will see that you are connected to a VPN service, but owing to the nature of the traffic being encrypted between your machine and the VPN endpoint, the ISP will not be able to see or inspect any of the resultant traffic. Sounds great, right ? Yes, of course it does, and there are plenty of providers out there that will offer this service relatively cheaply. A VPN is also used to work around GEO fencing (geographical restrictions applied to services such as Netflix to prevent access to US based content from another country for example) - when you are connected to the VPN, you are connected to a US based endpoint, meaning Netflix thinks you are in the US, and then serves the content as a result. Netflix has some of the toughest GEO restrictions in place, but there are a small handful of providers who are able to bypass this - some even have a high success rate in China.

The downside to the cheaper VPN’s is that they can actually see what you are accessing, and therefore, could provide this to external parties, or divulge it at the request of a subpoena. Worse still, that VPN which is supposed to mask your activity in fact is doing the opposite in the sense that although the ISP can no longer see what you are doing, the VPN operator can. When you are looking for a VPN service, it’s important to choose one that offers privacy and security. One that immediately springs to mind for me (and yes, I use this myself on all PC’s and my cell phone) is NordVPN. The real reason for this is that the company is based in Panama - a privacy haven by default, and does not log any of your traffic. They have two independent audits completed by one of the big 4 firms (PwC), and also a well known security firm. Both entities drew the same conclusion - NordVPN does not keep logs of user activity, and it does not track you either.

To anyone else reading this thread and thinking that this isn’t true, then you’ve never been through an audit in your life 😀 . If you claim to do something and then can’t prove it in an audit, you’ll fail that same process and you’ll be out of business before you know it owing to a loss of client trust and confidence alone. It’s important to note that, auditing is a double edged sword. Sure, you are stating your compliance to a set of narratives (direct instructions exactly how you conduct business, and the operation itself), but auditors will look for any chink in the armour - this is what they are paid to do. This is why you never self audit, but always gain independent attestation of your controls by a third party with no bias.

Currently, NordVPN do log some activity to disk (nothing that identifies you or your browsing session) so that does raise the question of retention etc, but is shortly moving to a RAM based model where once the server has been rebooted, all traces of any activity are forensically destroyed.

I was going to write a review about my favourite VPN service (NordVPN), but seeing as VPN Mentor beat me to it 🙂 I’ll just leave this here. It’s very thorough, and a great read.

Interesting to read this:

"Blocked by: Netflix
    NordVPN couldn’t unblock Netflix. The platform improved its VPN-detection technology, and started blocking many VPN services — NordVPN being one of them. In general, these problems are fixed quite fast, but it wasn’t the case this time. I got in contact with a customer support rep, and he confirmed that right now, NordVPN is unable to access Netflix. He suggested that I try connecting to other servers, but that didn’t fix the issue.

screenshot of NordVPN’s support answer
    NordVPN may fix the issue in the future, but the agent couldn’t give me an ETA

This was a letdown for me, as it performed great with other services. Even though NordVPN claims it’s actively working on this, it may take a long time before you can access Netflix again."

Source: https://www.vpnmentor.com/reviews/nordvpn/

vpn.webp

Why is a VPN so important ?

Wrong.

Unfortunately I can’t vouch for any of this at the moment with the Internet playing up.

"Speeds — Exceptionally Fast Speeds on All Servers
    I was really impressed by NordVPN’s consistently fast speeds. Every VPN will slow you down a little bit as it sends your traffic to different servers (and the further away a server is, the slower your speeds will be). But while testing different NordVPN servers across the world, I didn’t notice the speed drops at all as there was no difference in my browsing, streaming, or even gaming experience.

I examined 3 main components during the speed tests:

Download speed shows how fast the data is downloaded from a server. You need about 5 Mbps for HD streaming and 25 Mbps for 4k streaming.
    Upload speed shows how fast the data is sent to a server. You need around 2 Mbps for high-quality video calls, and around 5 Mbps to send files quickly.
    Ping (measured in ms) shows how long it takes for data to travel to and from your device. This is important for gaming, and you need less than 100 ms to play online games without lag."

Source: https://www.vpnmentor.com/reviews/nordvpn/

• @jac I wouldn’t pay to much attention to that link. NordVPN are typically very quick at resolving issues like this as they own their network and do not rent space from someone else to sell as a virtual service like some of the smaller providers do.

This was an issue in terms of Netflix some time ago and was fixed in days. Netflix and other competitors are always finding November 5 ways of blocking known VPN providers as this is how they make money - through expensive subscriptions. Work around those, and that equates to a drop in revenue for them.

@jac I wouldn’t pay to much attention to that link. NordVPN are typically very quick at resolving issues like this as they own their network and do not rent space from someone else to sell as a virtual service like some of the smaller providers do.

This was an issue in terms of Netflix some time ago and was fixed in days. Netflix and other competitors are always finding November 5 ways of blocking known VPN providers as this is how they make money - through expensive subscriptions. Work around those, and that equates to a drop in revenue for them.

I do believe Nord is good, certainly from reviews and what I’ve heard from yourself, I’m just yet to put it to the sword ⚔

As for Netflix I’m sure I’ll find a way around rhar eventually even by following that link you added the other night, it’s something im not too fussed about because it’s logged in and surely you are logged what you watch etc anyway.

• VPN by themselves are too oft see as a panacea. Good but not a silver bullet in the privacy wars. Indeed, users concerned with such may well be better served, if only opting for a single arrow, to target various browser plugins and tweaks.

Some quick and dirty references may be found in the “privacy” node here:

http://teamcool.net/pages/about/

Although that is by now obviously dated. For e.g. uMatrix is no longer actively developed (crying shame… 😢 ) in favor of channeling limited resources into uBlock Origin. Heh, I do not blog much. When I do it is more to scratch some itch than commit to any kind of “going concern”.

• @gotwf I agree with the panacea part - almost in some cases a placebo or similar effect. Just because a vendor claims to be secure, it doesn’t mean it is. This is why I like independently attested security rather then the vendor simply claiming a fortress when in fact, it’s like a chocolate fireguard.

• @phenomlab Pondering this a bit more I would whittle down that single arrow to uBlock Origin. Avail on both Firefox and Chrome. Lots of respect for it, and author, on many security forums, e.g. Wilder Security.

Which is not to say do not get a VPN.

• phenomlabundefined phenomlab moved this topic from Blog on

• 0 Votes
    4 Posts

@DownPW 🙂 most of this really depends on your desired security model. In all cases with firewalls, less is always more, although it’s never as clear cut as that, and there are always bespoke ports you’ll need to open periodically.

Heztner’s DDoS protection is superior, and I know they have invested a lot of time, effort, and money into making it extremely effective. However, if you consider that the largest ever DDoS attack hit Cloudflare at 71m rps (and they were able to deflect it), and each attack can last anywhere between 8-24 hours which really depends on how determined the attacker(s) is/are, you can never be fully prepared - nor can you trace it’s true origin.

DDoS attacks by their nature (Distributed Denial of Service) are conducted by large numbers of devices whom have become part of a “bot army” - and in most cases, the owners of these devices are blissfully unaware that they have been attacked and are under command and control from a nefarious resource. Given that the attacks originate from multiple sources, this allows the real attacker to observe from a distance whilst concealing their own identity and origin in the process.

If you consider the desired effect of DDoS, it is not an attempt to access ports that are typically closed, but to flood (and eventually overwhelm) the target (such as a website) with millions of requests per second in an attempt to force it offline. Victims of DDoS attacks are often financial services for example, with either extortion or financial gain being the primary objective - in other words, pay for the originator to stop the attack.

It’s even possible to get DDoS as a service these days - with a credit card, a few clicks of a mouse and a target IP, you can have your own proxy campaign running in minutes which typically involves “booters” or “stressers” - see below for more

https://heimdalsecurity.com/blog/ddos-as-a-service-attacks-what-are-they-and-how-do-they-work

@DownPW said in Setting for high load and prevent DDoS (sysctl, iptables, crowdsec or other):

in short if you have any advice to give to secure the best.

It’s not just about DDos or firewalls. There are a number of vulnerabilities on all systems that if not patched, will expose that same system to exploit. One of my favourite online testers which does a lot more than most basic ones is below

https://www.immuniweb.com/websec/

I’d start with the findings reported here and use that to branch outwards.

• 2 Votes
    3 Posts

@crazycells exactly. Not so long ago, we had the Cambridge Analytica scandal in the UK. Meta (Facebook) seem to be the ultimate “Teflon” company in the sense nothing seems to stick.

• 6 Votes
    7 Posts

@phenomlab

yep but I use it since several month and I haven’t see any bugs or crash
    In any case, I only use him anymore 🙂

Tabby offers tabs and a panel system, but also themes, plugins and color palettes to allow you to push the experience to the limit. It can support different shells in the same window, offers completion, has an encrypted container for your passwords, SSH keys and other secrets, and can handle different connection profiles.

Each tab is persistent (you can restore them if you close one by mistake) and has a notification system, which will let you know if, for example, a process is finished while you are tapping in another tab.

It’s really a great terminal that will easily replace cmd.exe for Windowsians or your usual terminal. And it can even work in a portable version for those who like to carry their tools on a USB key.

–> To test it, you can download it, but there is also a web version. Handy for getting an idea.

https://app.tabby.sh

• 4 Votes
    3 Posts

@phenomlab

No they have a free and pro console instance.
    We can see alert with IP, Source AS, scenario attack etc…

Installation on the NODEBB server without problems. Very good tools

cf7e5a89-84f4-435b-82eb-434c0bfc895e-image.png
    cc82a10e-a1f1-4fd8-a433-7c9b2d31f254-image.png

1b7147b0-37c6-4d87-b4f1-a0fe92e74afd-image.png

7c21fc10-1825-48e1-a993-92b84455f074-image.png

We can also do research on IPs via the crowdsec analyzer

I believe it’s 500 per month in the Free version

43bc8265-a57c-4439-829c-0bb8602d99b4-image.png

• 0 Votes
    1 Posts

1631808994808-scamming.jpg.webp

One of many issues with working in the Infosec community is an inevitable backlash you’ll come across almost on a daily basis. In this industry, and probably hundreds of others like it are those who have an opinion. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with that, and it’s something I always actively encourage. However, there’s a fine line between what is considered to be constructive opinion and what comes across as a bigoted approach. What I’m alluding to here is the usage of the word “hacker” and it’s context. I’ve written about this particular topic before which, so it seems, appears to have pressed a few buttons that “shouldn’t be pressed”.
    alt text

But why is this ?

The purpose of this article is definition. It really isn’t designed to “take sides” or cast aspersions over the correct usage of the term, or which scenarios and paradigms it is used correctly or incorrectly against. For the most part, the term “hacker” seems to be seen as positive in the Infosec community, and based on this, the general consensus is that there should be greater awareness of the differences between hackers and threat actors, for example. The issue here is that not everyone outside of this arena is inclined to agree. You could argue that the root of this issue is mainly attributed to the media and how they portray “hackers” as individuals who pursue nefarious activity and use their skills to commit crime and theft on a grand scale by gaining illegal access to networks. On the one hand, the image of hoodies and faceless individuals has created a positive awareness and a sense of caution amongst the target groups – these being everyday users of civilian systems and corporate networks alike, and with the constant stream of awareness campaigns running on a daily basis, this paradigm serves only to perpetuate rather than diminish. On the other hand, if you research the definition of the term “hacker” you’ll find more than one returned.

Is this a fair reflection of hackers ? To the untrained eye, picture number 2 probably creates the most excitement. Sure, picture 1 looks “cool”, but it’s not “threatening” as such, as this is clearly the image the media wants to display. Essentially, they have probably taken this stance to increase awareness of an anonymous and faceless threat. But, it ISN’T a fair portrayal.

Current definitions of “the word”

The word “hacker” has become synonymous with criminal activity to the point where it cannot be reversed. Certainly not overnight anyway. The media attention cannot be directly blamed either in my view as without these types of campaigns, the impact of such a threat wouldn’t be taken seriously if a picture of a guy in a suit (state sponsored) was used. The hoodie is representative of an unknown masked assailant and it’s creation is for awareness – to those who have no real understanding of what a hacker should look like – hence my original article. As I highlighted above, we live in a world where a picture speaks a thousand words.

The word hacker is always going to be associated with nefarious activity and that’s never going to change, regardless of the amount of effort that would be needed to re-educate pretty much the entire planet. Ask anyone to define a hacker and you’ll get the same response. It’s almost like trying to distinguish the deference between a full blown criminal and a “lovable rogue” or the fact that hoodies aren’t trouble making adolescent thugs.

Ultimately, it’s far too ingrained – much like the letters that flow through a stick of rock found on UK seaside resorts. It’s doesn’t matter how much you break off, the lettering exists throughout the entire stick regardless if you want that to happen or not. To make a real change, and most importantly, have media (and by definition, everyone else) realise they have made a fundamental misjudgement, we should look at realistic definitions.

The most notable is the below, taken from Tech Target

A hacker is an individual who uses computer, networking or other skills to overcome a technical problem. The term hacker may refer to anyone with technical skills, but it often refers to a person who uses his or her abilities to gain unauthorized access to systems or networks in order to commit crimes. A hacker may, for example, steal information to hurt people via identity theft, damage or bring down systems and, often, hold those systems hostage to collect ransom.

The term hacker has historically been a divisive one, sometimes being used as a term of admiration for an individual who exhibits a high degree of skill, as well as creativity in his or her approach to technical problems. However, the term is more commonly applied to an individual who uses this skill for illegal or unethical purposes.

One great example of this is that hackers are not “evil people” but are in fact industry professionals and experts who use their knowledge to raise awareness by conducting proof of concept exercises and providing education and awareness around the millions of threats that we are exposed to on an almost daily basis. So why does the word “hacker” strike fear into those unfamiliar with its true meaning ? The reasoning for this unnecessary phenomena isn’t actually the media alone (although they have contributed significantly to it’s popularity). It’s perception. You could argue that the media have made this perception worse, and to a degree, this would be true. However, they actually didn’t create the original alliance – the MIT claimed that trophy and gave the term the “meaning” it has to this day. Have a look at this

MIT Article

Given the origins of this date back to 1963, the media is not to blame for creating the seemingly incorrect original reference when it’s fairly obvious that they didn’t. The “newspaper” reflected in the link is a campus circulation and was never designed for public consumption as far as I can see. Here’s a quote from that article:

“Many telephone services have been curtailed because of so-called hackers, according to Professor Carleton Tucker, administrator of the Institute telephone system.

The students have accomplished such things as tying up all the tie-lines between Harvard and MIT, or making long-distance calls by charging them to a local radar installation. One method involved connecting the PDP-1 computer to the phone system to search the lines until a dial tone, indicating an outside line, was found.”

The “so-called hackers” alignment here originally comes from “Phreaking” – a traditional method of establishing control over remote telephone systems allowing trunk calls, international dialling, premium rates, etc, all without the administrator’s knowledge. This “old school” method would certainly no longer work with modern phone systems, but is certainly “up there” with the established activity that draws a parallel with hacking.

Whilst a significant portion of blogs, security forums, and even professional security platforms continue to use images of hoodies, faceless individuals, and the term “hacker” in the criminal sense, this is clearly a misconception – unfortunately one that connotation itself has allowed to set in stone like King Arthur’s Excalibur. In fairness, cyber criminals are mostly faceless individuals as nobody can actually see them commit a crime and only realise they are in fact normal people once they are discovered, arrested, and brought to trial for their activities. However, the term “hacker” is being misused on a grand scale – and has been since the 1980’s.

An interesting observation here is that hoodies are intrinsically linked to threatening behaviour. A classic example of this is here. This really isn’t misrepresentation by the media in this case – it’s an unfortunate reality that is on the increase. Quite who exactly is responsible for putting a hacker in a hoodie is something of a discussion topic, but hackers were originally seen as “Cyberpunks” (think Matrix 1) until the media stepped in where they suddenly were seen as skateboarding kids in hoodies. And so, the image we know (and hackers loathe) was born. Perhaps one “logical” perspective for hoodies and hackers could be the anonymity the hoodie supposedly affords.

The misconception of the true meaning of “hacker” has damaged the Infosec community extensively in terms of what should be a “no chalk” line between what is criminal, and what isn’t. However, it’s not all bad news. True meaning aside, the level of awareness around the nefarious activities of cyber criminals has certainly increased, but until we are able to establish a clear demarcation between ethics in terms of what is right and wrong, those hackers who provide services, education, and awareness will always be painted in a negative light, and by inference, be “tarred with the same brush”. Those who pride themselves on being hackers should continue to do so in my view – and they have my full support.

It’s not their job solely to convince everyone else of their true intent, but ours as a community.

Let’s start making that change.

• 0 Votes
    1 Posts

1631812610135-security1.webp
    The recent high profile breaches impacting organisations large and small are a testament to the fact that no matter how you secure credentials, they will always be subject to exploit. Can a password alone ever be enough ? in my view, it’s never enough. The enforced minimum should be at least with a secondary factor. Regardless of how “secure” you consider your password to be, it really isn’t in most cases – it just “complies” with the requirement being enforced.

Here’s classic example. We take the common password of “Welcome123” and put it into a password strength checker
    1564764162-304322-password1.png
    According to the above, it’s “strong”. Actually, it isn’t. It’s only considered this way because it meets the complexity requirements, with 1 uppercase letter, at least 8 characters, and numbers. What’s also interesting is that a tool sponsored by Dashlane considers the same password as acceptable, taking supposedly 8 months to break
    1564764192-579936-password2.png
    How accurate is this ? Not accurate at all. The password of “Welcome123” is in fact one of the passwords contained in any penetration tester’s toolkit – and, by definition, also used by cyber criminals. As most of this password combination is in fact made up of a dictionary word, plus sequential numbers, it would take less than a second to break this rather than the 8 months reported above. Need further evidence of this ? Have a look at haveibeenpwned, which will provide you with a mechanism to test just how many times “Welcome123” has appeared in data breaches
    1564764241-350631-hibp.png

Why are credentials so weak ?

My immediate response to this is that for as long as humans have habits, and create scenarios that enable them to easily remember their credentials, then this weakness will always exist. If you look at a sample taken from the LinkedIn breach, those passwords that occupy the top slots are arguably the least secure, but the easiest to remember from the human perspective. Passwords such as “password” and “123456” may be easy for users to remember, but on the flip side, weak credentials like this can be broken by a simple dictionary attack in less than a second.

Here’s a selection of passwords still in use today – hopefully, yours isn’t on there
    1564764251-257407-passwordlist.jpeg
    We as humans are relatively simplistic when it comes to credentials and associated security methods. Most users who do not work in the security industry have little understanding, desire to understand, or patience, and will naturally choose the route that makes their life easier. After all, technology is supposed to increase productivity, and make tasks easier to perform, right ? Right. And it’s this exact vulnerability that a cyber criminal will exploit to it’s full potential.

Striking a balance between the security of credentials and ease of recall has always had it’s challenges. A classic example is that networks, websites and applications nowadays typically have password policies in place that only permit the use of a so-called strong password. Given the consolidation and overall assortment of letters, numbers, non-alphanumeric characters, uppercase and lowercase, the password itself is probably “secure” to an acceptable extent, although the method of storing the credentials isn’t. A shining example of this is the culture of writing down sensitive information such as credentials. I’ve worked in some organisations where users have actually attached their password to their monitor. Anyone looking for easy access into a computer network is onto an immediate winner here, and unauthorised access or a full blown breach could occur within an alarmingly short period of time.

Leaked credentials and attacks from within

You could argue that you would need access to the computer itself first, but in several historical breach scenarios, the attack originated from within. In this case, it may not be an active employee, but someone who has access to the area where that particular machine is located. Any potential criminal has the credentials – well, the password itself, but what about the username ? This is where a variety of techniques can be used in terms of username discovery – in fact, most of them being non-technical – and worryingly simple to execute. Think about what is usually on a desk in an office. The most obvious place to look for the username would be on the PC itself. If the user had recently logged out, or locked their workstation, then on a windows network, that would give you the username unless a group policy was in place. Failing that, most modern desk phones display the name of the user. On Cisco devices, under Extension Mobility, is the ID of the user. It doesn’t take long to find this. Finally there’s the humble business card. A potential criminal can look at the email address format, remove the domain suffix, and potentially predict the username. Most companies tend to leverage the username in email addresses mainly thanks to SMTP template address policies – certainly true in on premise Exchange environments or Office 365 tenants.

The credentials are now paired. The password has been retrieved in clear text, and by using a simple discovery technique, the username has also been acquired. Sometimes, a criminal can get extremely lucky and be able to acquire credentials with minimal effort. Users have a habit of writing down things they cannot recall easily, and in some cases, the required information is relatively easily divulged without too much effort on the part of the criminal. Sounds absurd and far fetched, doesn’t it ? Get into your office early, or work late one evening, and take a walk around the desks. You’ll be unpleasantly surprised at what you will find. Amongst the plethora of personal effects such as used gym towels and footwear, I guarantee that you will find information that could be of significant use to a criminal – not necessarily readily available in the form of credentials, but sufficient information to create a mechanism for extraction via an alternative source. But who would be able to use such information ?

Think about this for a moment. You generally come into a clean office in the mornings, so cleaners have access to your office space. I’m not accusing anyone of anything unscrupulous or illegal here, but you do need to be realistic. This is the 21st century, and as a result, it is a security measure you need to factor in and adopt into your overall cyber security policy and strategy. Far too much focus is placed on securing the perimeter network, and not enough on the threat that lies within. A criminal could get a job as a cleaner at a company, and spend time collecting intelligence in terms of what could be a vulnerability waiting to be exploited. Another example of “instant intelligence” is the network topology map. Some of us are not blessed with huge screens, and need to make do with one ancient 19″ or perhaps two. As topology maps can be quite complex, it’s advantageous to be able to print these in A3 format to make it easier to digest. You may also need to print copies of this same document for meetings. The problem here is what you do with that copy once you have finished with it ?

How do we address the issue ? Is there sufficient awareness ?

Yes, there is. Disposing of it in the usual fashion isn’t the answer, as it can easily be recovered. The information contained in most topology maps is often extensive, and is like a goldmine to a criminal looking for intelligence about your network layout. Anything like this is classified information, and should be shredded at the earliest opportunity. Perhaps one of the worst offences I’ve ever personally experienced is a member of the IT team opening a password file, then walking away from their desk without locking their workstation. To prove a point about how easily credentials can be inadvertently leaked, I took a photo with a smartphone, then showed the offender what I’d managed to capture a few days later. Slightly embarrassed didn’t go anywhere near covering it.

I’ve been an advocate of securing credentials for some time, and recently read about the author of “NIST Special Publication 800-63” (Bill Burr). Now retired, he has openly admitted the advice he originally provided as in fact, incorrect

“Much of what I did I now regret.” said Mr Burr, who advised people to change their password every 90 days and use obscure characters.

“It just drives people bananas and they don’t pick good passwords no matter what you do.”

The overall security of credentials and passwords

However, bearing in mind that this supposed “advice” has long been the accepted norm in terms of password securuty, let’s look at the accepted standards from a well-known auditing firm

It would seem that the Sarbanes Oxley 404 act dictates that regular changes of credentials are mandatory, and part of the overarching controls. Any organisation that is regulated by the SEC (for example) would be covered and within scope by this statement, and so the argument for not regularly changing your password becomes “invalid” by the act definition and narrative. My overall point here is that the clearly obvious bad password advice in the case of the financial services industry is negated by a severely outdated set of controls that require you to enforce a password change cycle and be in compliance with it. In addition, there are a vast number of sites and services that force password changes on a regular basis, and really do not care about what is known to be extensive research on password generation.

The argument for password security to be weakened by having to change it on a frequent basis is an interesting one that definitely deserves intense discussion and real-world examples, but if your password really is strong (as I mentioned previously, there are variations of this which are really not secure at all, yet are considered strong because they meet a complexity requirement), then a simple mutation of it could render it vulnerable. I took a simple lowercase phrase

mypasswordissimpleandnotsecureatall

1564764311-893646-nonillion.png
    The actual testing tool can be found here. So, does a potential criminal have 26 nonillion years to spare ? Any cyber criminal who possesses only basic skills won’t need a fraction of that time as this password is in fact made up of simple dictionary words, is all lowercase, and could in fact be broken in seconds.

My opinion ? Call it how you like – the password is here to stay for the near future at least. The overall strength of the password or credentials stored using MD5, bCrypt, SHA1 and so on are irrelevant when an attacker can use established and proven techniques such as social engineering to obtain your password. Furthermore, the addition of 2FA or a SALT dramatically increases password security – as does the amount of unsuccessful attempts permitted before the associated account is locked. This is a topic that interests me a great deal. I’d love to hear your feedback and comments.

• 1 Votes
    1 Posts

What would happen if a cyber criminal attempted to scam a security professional ? Well, some time ago, this happened to me. Like everyone, I certainly receive my fair share of junk email, scams, and pretty much everything else that the internet these days tends to throw at you. For the most part, each one of these “attacks” is ignored. However, one caught my eye after only the first paragraph. Not only was the format used absurd, but the supposedly “formal tone” was nothing short of a complete joke. Unfortunately, there really is no “TL;DR” synopsis for this particular event.

Scrolling to the bottom of the article is of course up to you, but you’ll not only miss out on key information - you’ll also miss out on my sarcasm 🤣

Admittedly, this “scam” sounds far fetched. But, believe it or not, this particular campaign has a high success rate (and, all content in this article actually happened). If this were not the case, would a potential criminal go to such lengths to impersonate and engage ? No. They rely on that one human trait known as trust. Trust which in this case is readily exploited. I promise that this article will be worth your while reading. Ready ? Buckle up. its going to be an interesting ride. During the journey, I’ll highlight the warning signs and provide an explanation into each. Let’s start.

Day 1

Out of the blue, I was contacted via email by someone calling themselves “Andrew Walter” - purportedly an employee at Bank of America. The first immediate sign that something is not quite all it seems here is that the email address used is in fact from the contact form on this site. What’s significant about that ? Well, there are a variety of techniques used by cyber criminals to gain access to legitimate email addresses. One known and widely used technique is the scraping of email addresses from websites and social media - in fact, the most notable is LinkedIn.

Despite its age and somewhat basic approach, it still works very well. Why didn’t I secure it ? Simple. The contact form on this site also doubles as a honeypot. You’d be surprised what lands in here - as this “campaign” did. For the record, Phenomlab does not retain any information from this contact form. The initial text in the email might have been relatively convincing if it hadn’t contained a ”glow in the dark” grammatical error within the first line. What I’m alluding to here is that the email may as well have arrived complete with sirens and flashing lights. Here’s a snapshot

Dear Mark Cutting. “I added you to my professional network in order to share a confidential proposal with you please contact me on my private email: andrewwalter411@gmail.com for briefing on proposal since i can not send attachment via linkedin”.

Actually, you didn’t. I received no such request. Let’s have a look at the initial baiting technique. Who writes an email using the full name of a person without addressing them in the business (or even personal for that fact) sense ? In addition, why would you wrap what you want to say in quotes ? Finally, “I can not send attachment via LinkedIn” - actually, I received two from trusted sources in the same platform a day earlier. This email was so cringe worthy, I thought it rude to not reply ?

Andrew, Can I ask what this is in relation to please ? Thanks

That’s the hook that a scammer needs. After this, the response is a lot more detailed as the criminal plays out the story. I’m going to highlight the areas of interest here as I go, and have attached the full text in order to keep this article sane.

I will start by saying thanks for your response…How is your family doing? I hope okay.

Good start. Make it look like you know me personally and commence with the pleasantries - even though you in fact know nothing about me, and, in reality, couldn’t care less.

My proposal is very important to me so please I want you to take the content of this mail very serious. All I want is an honest business transaction between us.

This is anything but honest

Day 2

First of all, I will start by introducing myself. My name is Andrew Walter, I am currently working with Bank of America. I have been working here for 17 years now, and I have a good working record with my bank.

That’s strange. According to the array of fake Andrew Walter (Bank of America) LinkedIn profiles, you’ve been there for 12 years. Did you step into a time machine and not tell anyone ? Perhaps you banged your head and lost 5 years in the process. What’s more than likely is that like most bad liars, you’ve lost track of what you told one person as oppose to the next. At least you tried to enforce a bit of trust with your statement around “I have a good working record with my bank”.
    1614967980-136791-linkedinpng.webp1614967988-257399-linkedin2png.webp

I am also the personal accountant to Engineer (Lex Cutting ), a foreign contractor who has an investment account with my bank with a huge sum of money in it.

Note the misplaced bracket here, and also note, that there is no “Lex Cutting” in my family tree. Am I a grammar snob ? No, but I expect a “business transaction” (if you can call it that) to at least not contain basic grammatical errors.

My late client was a chemical consultant contractor with Royal Dutch Shell until his death in a fatal car accident while at France on sabbatical with his entire family. The accident unfortunately took the lives of the family members comprising of himself, his wife and two kids in the summer of 2007 may their soul rest in perfect peace.

He banked with us here at Bank of America and had a very huge sum of money in his account which has still yet not been claimed by anybody as there was no living will in place when he died.

“May their soul rest in perfect peace” and “A very huge sum of money” - instant alarm bells owing to the poor grammar. If you’re working under the pretence of being an educated individual employed by a tier 1 bank, you’re not doing a very good job.

The amount of money involved here is about $15,812,664 (Fifteen Million, Eight Hundred and Twelve Thousand six hundred and sixty four US Dollars.) in account with indefinite interest.

Holy s***, I’ve won the lottery !! Contain yourself man, and remember, its a fake ! Ok, composure resumed.

Since the death of my client; my bank and I have made several inquiries to his embassy to locate any of his extended family members or relatives but this has proven unsuccessful. I came to know about you in my search for a person who shares the same last name as my late client.

Yes - I and thousands of others no doubt. How lucky I’ve been selected for this “unique opportunity”.

employed the services of LinkedIn search solely for this purpose as I feel it would not have been the last wishes of my late client for his whole life work to be transferred to a government (Es cheat) he had always complained of their unfavorable public monetary policies, taxes and so on while he was alive.

Ok, so let me get this straight. You’ve trawled LinkedIn looking for “beneficiaries” when there are other far more orthodox and reliable channels to obtain this information. I can smell the sweat and toil of poorly conducted fraud here. Oh, and by the way, “Es cheat” is actually one word (ESCHEAT).

My bank has issued me several notices to provide the next of kin or the account risk been es cheat within the next 10 official working days. The last notice for claim came to my desk last week. I am contacting you to assist me in repatriating the funds left behind before they are declared un-serviced by my bank. I am seeking your consent to present you as the next of kin of my late client since you share and bear the same last name.

As such, the proceeds of the account can be paid to you as soon as you contact my bank and apply for the funds to be released to you as the next of kin. If we can be of one accord, I see no reason why we would not succeed. We both have to act swiftly on this matter in other to beat the deadline es cheat date.Please get back to me immediately for us to proceed.

Wait a minute. If I’m the sole beneficiary, why do you want half ? Sounds like easy money to me. And the usage of “one accord” is somewhat “odd”.

I am after the success of this transaction with your full co-operation. All I require is your honesty and full co-operation to enable us see this cool deal go through.

I bet you are. “Cool deal” ? I thought I was taking to a professional here, not a school kid. Seems like our man has let his guard down for a split second and now his “Inna Gangsta” is shining through.

I guarantee you that this will be executed under a legitimate arrangement that will protect you and me from breaching USA laws. I want to also inform you that I am a very religious person and I cannot tell a lie because of my strong believes; I would expect the same from you.

Oh please, do me a favour. Pull the other one - its got bells on.

I will attach a copy of my international passport in my next mail for authenticity so we have equal ground to trust each other. If you are interested in my proposal I will send you more information directing you on further procedure on how we can claim the money in the account successfully. If this proposal is alright by you then kindly get back to me.

“Alright by you” - there’s that superb [sic] usage of business language again. This guy is awesome.

The content of this mail should be treated with utmost confidentiality and a quick response from you will be highly appreciated. However, if you are not interested in this proposal, please accept my apologies for sending you the message and kindly delete message, I promised that you will never hear from me. I anticipate your co-operation.

Of course. You wouldn’t want local law enforcement or the ”feds” knocking at your door now, would you ?

Day 3

This by now is so hilarious that I just had to respond.

Hi. This sounds great. What would the next steps be ? Eagerly awaiting your response.

And, without delay, here’s the response

Dear Mark Cutting. I thank you for responding to my mail, I want to stress again that this transaction is very legitimate and there is no risk involved as I am the personal accountant to Late Engineer (Lex Cutting ) anything I say concerning this will be followed by the bank Executives.

I bet. Actually, I’m struggling to follow your appallingly bad grammar here, but I expect you have your “very legitimate” reasons.

However, before we can proceed further, I want you to assure me that you will be honest during the transaction and as soon as the funds is transferred to you we can meet in person and share money peacefully. You should understand that this transaction can be successful if we work together and as soon as I give you all legal procedure you will receive the funds from my bank, so I really need your assurance before we shall proceed.

Wait - you want me to be honest ? Who’s scamming who here ?? What a complete scumbag.

As I read your email I am very convinced with you and serious about this arrangement process as such, I would want you to take this serious too. My personal instinct directed me to contact you and I hope it was not a wrong thing to do.I shall direct you on the process of the claim; we shall start by sending a formal application to this effect. I will send you the text for the claims and transfer application to this effect. Thereafter, the bank will request of you the relevant back up documents to your claim and application according to the demand of our probate law for transfer of funds.

Once you have provided the Bank with their demands, they would now be under legal obligation to transfer the funds to bank account provided by you. As part of the procedure of the claims, the documents that will be required from you will have to be acquired through legal procedures as the application of claim will be complimented with a legal award we shall have to seek from our law Court here. Be assured that the procedures to be adopted in effecting the transfer in your favor will be official and legal which will protect us from any breach of the law, We have the next 10 official working days.

Right. Sounds fairly “straightforward”.

Note: High confidentiality is required at all times. Do not tell anyone about this because, it might be unsafe for both of us. It would be safer for us to communicate by email for now as we have the trust. I hope you see reason with my decision on us talking by mail for now. As soon as the money has been transferred to your account, I will look for a country of our choice where we can see in person and subsequently share the funds in the ratio as discussed earlier.

I can assure you it won’t be unsafe for me, but it probably is for you -“…now we have the trust”. Note, that the scammer gains confidence here, and starts making some fairly basic mistakes.

Above all, I personally count on God to facilitate our plan and understanding, to produce not just success but also peaceful sharing of the funds at the end of the day and a wealthy family business relationship between us. I also pray for establishment of cordial relationship between us, God being our helper.

I agree - you’re definitely going to need all the help you can get here. You’re not getting anything from me, so divine intervention is probably the only thing you have left.

As soon as I hear from you and receive your assurance, I will send you the Text of Application for you to contact my bank for the release of the funds in the account of (Lex Nicholl) to your account as his next of kin.

Hold it right there ! Who is Lex** “Nicholl”** ? Major alarm bells here. Looks like this guy has his wires crossed or didn’t get good morning injection of caffeine. This is a glaring oversight and I’m guessing all those lovingly created campaigns have a similar fault.

would advice that you follow all the steps and procedures which I will give you so that we can get to the end of this transaction quickly. I need you to send a copy of your international passport to me and I will send mine as soon as I receive your reply indicating understanding from both of us.

Of course. You need my passport. How undeniably stupid of me to think that you could complete this “transaction” without stealing the holy grail of personally identifiable documents in the process and using it like the gift that keeps giving for your other criminal campaigns (I sincerely hope they are better than this one).

Day 4

Time to turn up the heat a bit

Hi. Can you send me the claims transfer forms for review ? Thanks

This guy is like a dog on heat and he’s well and truly bitten this

Dear Mark Cutting. I hope you and your family are well am so sorry for my late response as i read your email I was convinced, and I want you to understand that I need proper confirmation as I states below to be more in assurance of doing this transaction with you. The documents that will be required from us will have to be acquired through legal procedures as I explained, the application of claim will be complimented with a legal back up confirming this as a legitimate transaction, I have the account details with all access codes and will give it to you once it is required by the bank, also with me here all approvals will be provided and the transfer released to you.

We are going to keep our communication on email for now to ensure that we are under absolute security due to high level call interception here in United States I would like you to see it with me that security is very necessary we have to be on email or text messages until the transaction is completed and I will visit you to implement our sharing.

Yes, I agree that security is “very necessary” and also appreciate you do not want roughing up by “the feds” anytime soon. Let’s keep the communication on email so I don’t start to question who you are ? A quick side note here - if you want a secure channel, email is completely the opposite unless its been encrypted - which this hasn’t, and could be subject to eavesdropping. And, as a way of putting my mind at rest, here’s a lovely fake passport for your viewing pleasure. To the untrained eye, this could look convincing, but it a fake. One of the key identifiers here are the “wavy lines” over the picture. This is in fact a security watermark, and is unique for each passport issued. The lines will never repeat each other - if you look carefully at the below, the lines do in fact repeat.
    1614968131-783791-passport-fakepng.webp
    Below is an actual fake passport that was used in a scam a number of years ago. You’ll notice that this one is slightly less complex as it has the watermark missing, but is still fake, nonetheless.
    1614968502-542440-fake-passport-examplejpg.webp

The transfer in your favor will be official and legal which will protect us from any breach of the law. Whatever the cost of his transaction will be, is going to be on both of us which I believe that you will not let me handle all the process alone.

Of course not. You wouldn’t want to have to share any of the spoils, would you ? And just like any other “business transaction” you don’t want to be spending any of your money unnecessarily. Interesting that he’s actually used the US English “favor” rather than the UK English of “favour”. Pity he’s not been so diligent elsewhere. I know…let’s try and spend mine.

I will give you the text application letter of the transfer request for our ledger department and also details on the way forward with the transaction once you have agreed with the following

Are you ready to maintain the high level of confidentiality required for the successful conclusion of this transaction?

Are you promising me that your account can be able to carry a transaction of such magnitude without any problem

Are you willing to accept 50% for your participation without any problems in collecting my share from you?

“Yes, yes, yes !” Let’s do this thing, and I’ll also throw in a portable radio to make the deal even more “appealing”.

I will need your help in directing me and investing part of my share in your country the investment will be under your control until I am able to take over or it can be a joint venture depending on your decision. as soon as i receive a copy of your passport or id document and i as well have attached a copy of my passport for you to see whom you are working with.

Please reply as soon as possible if you in understanding with me so that we can proceed with the bank with text application.

Day 5

Now this is getting interesting. What this really means is that once I have your bank details, I won’t be making a deposit - only a withdrawal (from my account, of course). Time to contact the Bank of America - this guy is an absolute riot (anagram of idiot) and yes, I can’t spell either, or count.

Dear Sirs, I write with reference to what I believe to be a 419 Nigerian scam, sent to my email address. I am a security expert by trade, and wish to report this to yourselves. I believe the “sender” is impersonating one of your employees. I have also enclosed a scanned PDF file of the “passport”, which I also believe to be fake. I’m currently entertaining this individual as a way of reeling him in so I can report him to the necessary authorities.

Clearly, I have no intention of supplying any sensitive information, including my passport. Whilst I expect that you receive many emails of this nature, I would like confirmation that the enclosed photo in the passport is not in fact a Bank of America employee

Sadly, absolutely no response from Bank of America. I expect that they receive thousands of emails like this on a regular basis. Oh well, onward and upward. Let’s not keep our friend waiting.

Hi Mark , Thank you for your email, and understanding, we do not have much time to complete this transaction to avoid reaching the es-cheat date.i will start the preparation of the application text which will be submitted to the bank as official application to cover the estate by the family member of Late Mr. Lex Cutting.

I will send it to you for review by tomorrow. As a side note, there’s that misplaced capital letter

Well now, that’s more like it ! Now we’re best friends forever, we can lower our guard a bit and revert to informal language (well, formal in the sense that our author is suffering from capital letter displacement). Perhaps we caused a bit of suspicion in our last messages and want to be a bit more convincing ? I’m game if you are buddy. Let’s make this a bit more interesting.

Hi Andrew, Thanks for the email. I’ve just moved house, and things are in a bit of a mess, so I cannot place my passport for a few days until I’ve finished unpacking - hopefully, this doesn’t cause you any problems. I can answer “yes” to all the questions below.

In the meantime, to speed up the process, is there any way we can proceed whilst I attempt to find my passport ?

Thanks

Well, look at me ! I know exactly where my passport is and I haven’t moved house - we need a bit of time here to do some further digging, so I’m throwing him off the scent for a few days whilst I perform some background investigation and analysis. I let this go on for 6 days before responding - note, that previously, “Andrew” had warned me we only had 10 days to nail this “cool deal”.

We’ve since passed that landmark, but interestingly, he’s not that worried it seems. Admittedly, at this point I thought of sending a copy of Jason Bourne’s passport which are readily available for download via a quick Google - http://www.indyprops.com/pp-bournepass.htm. However, despite my assumption that this person I’m dealing with is stupid, I don’t think there’s many people on this planet who haven’t heard of Jason Bourne or seen at least one movie from the franchise.

Based on this simple conclusion, its not a wise move in my view as it means ending the story here (unless this guy has been living under a rock)…. and there’s so much more to tell yet ! Therefore, we’ll need to take another route. Let’s increase the stakes. Note that by this point, we’re up to day 5, and we only had 10 days to complete this “cool deal”.

Its now day 11 after I’ve kept him waiting for 6 days intentionally.

Day 11

Hi Andrew, Sorry for the delay. I finally found my passport, and have scanned a copy. However, I’ve read that email isn’t secure, so I can either FedEx a copy to you (I’ll need an address of course), or I can provide a secure link for you to download a password protected zip file. I’ll email you the password for that under separate cover. Would this be ok ? Keen to get things moving. Thanks

I can almost hear the cogs in motion as my best friend formulates a response. A spanner in the works and probably not on his “canned response” sheet. This guy now needs to up his game to stay in the running.

Hi mark. I hope you and your family are well? thank you so much for your mail please scan and send the copy of your international passport to this email (andrewwalter166@gmail.com) will can communicate much better even while i’m right in my work place i can reply over there anytime. as soon i receive your reply we will be proceeding with the text of application.

I will be waiting to hear from you.

Yes, I bet you will. This is the response I expected (note the “new” email address highlighted in yellow above - why change this now ? Keep reading) - if I then dropped out afterwards, this guy would still have a copy of my genuine passport, and could (and undoubtedly would) use this to commit other types of fraudulent activity.

Essentially, its all about the money, so if the primary campaign fails, there is a good chance the second one will succeed, which is why the passport is requested so early to avoid over investment in terms of time.

Hi Andrew, I really don’t want to send my passport by email. Can you give me an address of where it can be sent (postal) or let me know if you’d be ok downloading the copy needed from a link I will provide ? Thanks

“Hang him on a hook and let me play with him”
    1614968549-147228-hhoahjpg.webp
    I’m so bad. Let’s see how much he wants this. Pushing for the postal address risks blowing the (supposedly carefully planned) cover and exposing him. He can’t exactly give me an address in Africa now, can he ? I’ve already preempted this and laid the foundations for a honeypot trap. I need to explain myself a bit here for those reading this and scratching their heads with images of Winnie the Pooh and a honey jar, so bear with me.

A honeypot is a computer system or landing page that is set up to act as a decoy to lure fraudsters and cyber criminals - its essential function is to detect, deflect or study attempts to gain unauthorized access to information systems that are not for public use. At the heart of this honeypot is a system that is capable of obtaining a wealth of information about the accessing user in terms of IP address, geographic location, and a whole variety of data that would allow the recipient to piece together a trail of breadcrumbs. Any seasoned cyber criminal knows about the existence of such technology (its not exactly new) and would typically use a TOR browser to connect to any links provided by the victim in order to avoid detection.

The TOR network is a complex array of secured computer systems acting as “nodes” that traverse the internet using a variety of encryption mechanisms and connection masking, allowing the user to hide behind a number of random proxies that make it look as though he or she is accessing from a completely different geographical location. The TOR network was originally intended for use by the US navy, but found its way out and became the favourite watering hole for many a cyber criminal - and today, known as either the deep web, or worse, the dark web. Ok, that’s enough history and boring technical terms. Let’s get back on track. Essentially, I’ve created a hidden honeypot on this site and the only two people who have this link are myself, and our scammer friend. The page cannot be indexed or crawled by Google either. Time to up the stakes

Hi Andrew, Any update to this please ? Thanks

Day 12

No response. Perhaps I’ve pushed this a little too far. Let’s see

Hi Andrew, I’m concerned that I haven’t heard from you and don’t want to miss out on this amazing opportunity. Can you let me know what we need to do next please ? Thanks

I honestly thought that he wouldn’t reply, but he did.

Dear Mark Cutting. Hope all is fine with you and the family? i am writing to know if you are still interested with this transaction i need a copy of your international passport in other to know whom i’m working with for more verification as soon you send it down here

Now, when I went to school, the UK was across from America and not down - hence the term “across the pond”. Did I miss something here ? A figure of speech perhaps, but more likely a slip of the tongue. Looking at a map “down here” would indicate south, surely ?

we will be proceeding with the text of application to contact my bank for funds relic please update me as soon as possible.

And here we have another schoolboy error. This guy thinks he can relax now he’s done his chore. Not only is the text clearly copied and pasted (with the formatting intact so he first line doesn’t match the rest in terms of font size), but much worse is the fact that he’s now using a different email address altogether and hasn’t even made any attempts to hide this. Clearly, he’s got a lot going on, and there are undoubtedly hundreds of “Andrew Walter” doppelgangers lurking in the shadows like something out of Michael Jackson’s “Thriller”.

To understand this complete failure, let’s take a closer look - perhaps he’s got some sort of “Salesforce(esque)” campaign on the go where willing participants are directed to another email address for easy reference (milking)! The email address we started with was “andrewwalter411@gmail.com” which in itself isn’t very convincing. Now we’ve suddenly switched to “andrewwalter166@gmail.com” and also lazy again with our grammar as “Andrew Walter” is now “andrew walter”.
    1614968634-496024-emails.webp
    I suppose I could send him a Starbucks voucher so he can get a strong coffee and wake up, but, this is his gig, so I’ll let him play his hand.

Hi Andrew, As I previously mentioned, I won’t send my passport via email because I was told it wasn’t secure. Instead, I’ll provide a link to a secure website where it can be downloaded as a zip file. I’ll also provide the password for the zip file so you can extract it. I’ll get this over to you today. Thanks

Now we’re “upping the ante” a bit. Not only do we respond to the original email, but also to the new one with the same message above. I’m relatively sure at this point that our friend isn’t exactly an experienced fraudster, and probably won’t even notice his own mistake. Wait for a bit……. then send the link. Note that the link itself has been redacted for obvious reasons and is not the original.

Dear Andrew, I’ve scanned a copy of my passport to PDF and placed it in a password protected ZIP file. It can be downloaded using the link below. https://[redacted]/KCXXu4MN8G6FZqFt4Mb7hQfRZXmHA3Fn/securedownload/ Let me know as soon as you’ve downloaded the ZIP file, and I’ll send you the password in a separate email. Thanks

I wasn’t really expecting this guy to bite if I’m being honest, but never say die - he’s just fallen straight into the honeypot (or should I say, “boiling pot”)

Hi, the link is infected i can not open it my system refused to run the link. send it via pdf which i can view before download or jpg.

Actually “Andrew”, the link **isn’t **infected. I understand your frustration though, as its very annoying having your time wasted by a moronic idiot who seems to lack the ability to string even basic sentences together…… Alright - that’s enough of that. The thing is “Andrew”, you didn’t follow my instructions. Not that this really matters at the moment anyway as I have got what I came for. The string on the carrot has just been made shorter. I know at this point, you can almost taste it, but I’m not finished with you just yet.

Hi Andrew, The link works fine on my PC. its a password protected ZIP file created by 7Zip. If you use this to extract, you’ll need to enter the password to extract the PDF which I’ll send you under separate cover. Regds

He’s in for a bit of a surprise when he gets around to opening that Zip file. There’s a PDF there all right, but it’s certainly not my passport. In fact, “Andrew” has had three attempts at downloading that file
    1614968689-559410-file-downloadpng.webp
    According to the honeypot, it would appear that he’s operating out of Randburg (Johannesburg, South Africa) - a very well known fraud hotspot.
    1614968849-529265-locationpng.webp
    The GEO information is provided courtesy of https://db-ip.com/41.113.125.214

If those coordinates are accurate, then the local law enforcement aren’t too far away. Have a look below
    1614968903-340115-policepng.webp
    In fact, about 12 miles away (dependant on exact location of course, which the local ISP can provide when requested by law enforcement agencies)
    1614969237-763652-directions1.webp

Day 13

The next steps here are quite obvious. Pass it onto the local authorities to investigate, with a copy of all material received thus far

Dear Sirs, I write with reference to an incident where a scammer in your location has trawled LinkedIn and obtained my address with a view to commit coercion and fraudulent activity. The IP address that this fraud attempt has originated from is https://db-ip.com/41.113.125.214. I have a complete record of all activity, plus a copy of what I believe to be a stolen passport.

I am a security professional by trade, and wish to report this as criminal activity. I have a complete evidence chain of emails relating to this particular event - the incumbent has requested a copy of my passport (which for obvious reasons I will not be providing), and no doubt will also attempt to acquire my bank details. This person is posing as “Andrew Walter” from Bank of America - there are several fake profiles on LinkedIn relating to this individual. I am also aware that local law enforcement can request the physically connected location for this address - you should find its about 12 miles away from your location.

I have obtained this fraudster’s IP address via a honeypot on my website, which I purposely setup to extract this information. I would appreciate your cooperation in this individual’s apprehension, as it would appear that the same person is responsible for a number of similar campaigns designed to extract funds from others. I am based in the UK, but can be free to discuss as you deem fit. I have enclosed copies of all emails received so far, plus an example of the LinkedIn profiles which I believe are fake. Mark Cutting

And the below read receipt shows that this email has been read (well, opened, at least)

Your message was read on 16 May 2018 10:32:48 AM UTC. Final-recipient: RFC822; T0023694@saps.gov.za Disposition: automatic-action/MDN-sent-automatically; displayed X-MSExch-Correlation-Key: c1tMJuEijE6r4WJRtMhQlw== X-Display-Name: GPS:Randburg SC Admin

its at this point where things become much clearer. This guy really hasn’t done his homework. He’s been conversing with me outside of US time zones (well, Johannesburg is only currently 1 hour ahead of the UK after all) which can only mean he either has severe insomnia, or isn’t actually based in the USA. I wonder which one it could be ? Perhaps he should see a doctor and get some pills for that…. 🙂 I’ve since sent “Andrew” another email, but unfortunately, he hasn’t replied. I guess he’s “busy” with his next victim.

Hi Andrew,

I’m a bit concerned I’ve not heard from you, and with the deadline approaching, I really do not want to miss out. Can you let me know if you were able to open the zip file with 7zip as I previously mentioned ?

When you try to extract it, you’ll need a password which I’ll provide to you once you confirm you’re able to open.

Please keep me updated.

Thanks

The ironic thing here is that “Andrew” in fact already has the password for that zip file I sent him ! If he’s the hotshot he makes out to be, then I’m sure he’ll work it out. In the meantime, I’m guessing you all want to know what that zip file contained ? Well, I did say it was a PDF, but its not my passport. Here you go.
    1614969001-333126-pdf1png.webp

Conclusion

Sadly, there’s been no response to the email I sent to SAPS (South African Police Services). Oh well. They have all the evidence they need, although in fact, no actual “fraud” has been committed. That effectively means that “scoping out” a potential victim and attempting to reel them in isn’t actually an offence. Although identity impersonation certainly is and I’d be surprised if they were not interested in this.

So there you have it - a walk-through of what to look for in these types of scam. Here’s the highlights

No official institution like the Bank of America is going to allow its employees to conduct business over a GMAIL account. In all honesty, faking the bankofamerica.com domain would have been much more convincing, and wouldn’t have taken much effort either. After a quick iteration of the real name, I found the below If an email supposedly comes from the US, then why are all emails being sent outside of their working hours ? Any transaction of this sort would never be conducted over email anyway - for this amount (if this were indeed real), it would have to be completed face-to-face in the presence of bank officials, lawyers, compliance, and a whole raft of others. No institution is going to request a copy of any identifiable details (passport, bank accounts, etc.) over email. Poor grammar is an immediate warning sign. You need at least a decent grade in English if you are going to pretend to be someone you’re not Bad spelling is another. There are so many errors here and it makes any campaign stand up and shout “hey, I’m fake !”

Hope you enjoyed this somewhat absurd journey.

Keep safe out there, folks.

• VPNs & Netflix

Solved General
    1 Votes
    6 Posts

I believe I’ve connected to a different VPN since and it’s worked even with the app.