Skip to content

[NodeBB] username cards

Solved Customisation

Did this solution help you?
Did you find the suggested solution useful? Why not buy me a coffee? It's a nice gesture, and a great way to show your appreciation 💗

• 2 Votes
    8 Posts

@Panda you’d be surprised. If you consider that you’d need to use the API to be able to populate a WordPress widget for example (which in turn would of course be PHP), taking this route is still immensely popular.

• 2 Votes
    26 Posts
    1k Views

@Panda said in Interesting Widget code, but can’t fetch API:

How did you drop that widget into the post there?
    I hadnt seen this BSgenerator anywhere on sudonix site, do you use it somewhere already?

Yes, here

https://sudonix.org/topic/414/corporate-bullshit-generator?_=1687774393044

It’s not a “post” or “topic” in the common sense. It is actually a page in it’s own right and leverages nodebb-plugin-custom-pages. This in turn creates a new “route” which behaves like a page, meaning it is then exposed for widgets.

@Panda said in Interesting Widget code, but can’t fetch API:

Also can you explain more what you mean by calling the code externally. In my API call example, how would I go about doing that?

By this, I mean create all the required code in an external JS file that is reachable by the NodeBB instance - so, in “public” for example - or in my case /public/js. The widget then “calls” that file and because it runs outside of the scope of NodeBB, you just need to return the values to the widget.

Hope this makes sense?

• 4 Votes
    8 Posts

@Panda said in Upgrade to NodeBB v3? 2BB or not 2BB, that is the question!:

So although thats a plugin it has Widget like element and stopped working on the Theme change

Which is normal based on the widgets being reset when you change themes.

• 0 Votes
    2 Posts

@eeeee they are nothing to worry about, and can be ignored.

• restarting nodebb on boot

Unsolved Configure
    1 Votes
    3 Posts

@eeeee said in restarting nodebb on boot:

can I just run nodebb under nodemon for auto restarts?

It’s a better method. Nodemon just looks for file system changes and would effectively die if the server was rebooted meaning you’d have to start it again anyway. Systemd is the defacto standard which is how the operating system interacts in terms of services, scheduled tasks etc.

• 6 Votes
    6 Posts

@Sala ok, but that’s still the same loop which is going to have an impact on the CPU.

• Display tweets in widget [NodeBB]

Solved Customisation
    4 Votes
    29 Posts
    2k Views

@phenomlab brilliant, many thanks Mark 😁

• 0 Votes
    3 Posts

Closing this thread as a duplicate of https://sudonix.com/topic/12/nodebb-customisation