Skip to content

SEO

General
  • Just seen the report. Seems I’ve a lot to improve on!

• @jac Yes, there are some items you can’t control, and you’ll never get the perfect score.

• i think that unique post and content are also important, there’s a specific way to “write” posts to make it more important for google

• @justoverclock exactly. They aren’t kidding when they say content is king. The problem with that in the sense of forums is that posts tend to be short, so it’s hard to stuff them with keywords. Not that you should ever do that though.

I prefer the natural and organic approach, which sadly, takes time, and requires constant feeding to make it grow. I personally will never get into the realms of pushing people and begging them to sign up. Members come here for what’s on offer in terms of help and assistance.

This ain’t no Facebook 😀

• @phenomlab very true mate.

• @phenomlab said in SEO:

@justoverclock exactly. They aren’t kidding when they say content is king. The problem with that in the sense of forums is that posts tend to be short, so it’s hard to stuff them with keywords. Not that you should ever do that though.

I prefer the natural and organic approach, which sadly, takes time, and requires constant feeding to make it grow. I personally will never et into the realms of pushing people and begging them to sign up. Members come here for what’s on offer in terms of help and assistance.

This ain’t no Facebook 😀

That’s True Mark, at least I don’t get invited to dodgy chats with women on here 😉.

• The thing about the goog is… their search results are anything but “organic” - you will be hard pressed to place higher than their paid advertisers. Took months and months for my forums (wh/are now essentially dead thanks to competition from an asshat setting up a fb group) to even be listed. Meanwhile, I placed top of page on Bing and DuckDuckGo. Go figure… Heh.

Just one example of how evil the goog has become over the years. Heck, no longer even promote their former tagline of “Do no evil” cuz they’ve been called out on it so many times. Tracking scripts up the [censored]. Major privacy issues. The list is endless. Read the Snowden Documents. Only a few are necessary to really open one’s eyes to just how bad things have become.

So what to do? If you’re not part of the solution they you’re part of the problem. I refuse to use them. Any of their stuff. Unless you’re paying me well and twisting my arm hard.

My unsolicited opinionated opinion. 😉

• @gotwf amen to that. 100% truth right there. With Google, you pay your way up the rankings tree.

• @phenomlab Just for giggles I tried submitting a site. That site refuses to even function for me under Firefox. Even AFTER I disable ALL of my privacy oriented plugins AND allow 3rd party cookies. Firefox has some built in ad blocker stuff that I did not tweak cuz I am only willing to go so fart to satisfy curiousity.

• Your google ranking is too low for that. Your clicks on your website have to increase significantly for this. It also helps if you have a lot of links to your website, e.g. on other websites as a reference. So that your posts or your page are high in google and can be found, you have to rise in the ranking

Sitemap google refresh

If you do not use WordPress or another CMS whose sitemap automatically sends a ping to Google when it is updated, you can use the "ping" function to request the update.

Send an HTTP GET request like this:

http://www.google.com/ping?sitemap=https://example.com/sitemap.xml

• 4 Votes
    4 Posts

@Norrad Are you looking for anything in particular? I only ask because Sudonix uses a number of custom functions which I wrote, but all are available on GitHub and fully supported here.

• 13 Votes
    27 Posts
    2k Views

yuuuuu.png

• 4 Votes
    11 Posts

@Hari Really? Can you elaborate a bit more here?

• Embeds

General
    4 Votes
    4 Posts

@OT Are you testing embeds, or did you insert this link for another purpose? For clarity, this isn’t a testing category 🙂

• Nodebb design

Solved General
    1 Votes
    2 Posts

@Panda said in Nodebb design:

One negative is not being so good for SEO as more Server side rendered forums, if web crawlers dont run the JS to read the forum.

From recollection, Google and Bing have the capability to read and process JS, although it’s not in the same manner as a physical person will consume content on a page. It will be seen as plain text, but will be indexed. However, it’s important to note that Yandex and Baidu will not render JS, although seeing as Google has a 90% share of the content available on the web in terms of indexing, this isn’t something you’ll likely lose sleep over.

@Panda said in Nodebb design:

The “write api” is preferred for server-to-server interactions.

This is mostly based around overall security - you won’t typically want a client machine changing database elements or altering data. This is why you have “client-side” which could be DOM manipulation etc, and “server-side” which performs more complex operations as it can communicate directly with the database whereas the client cannot (and if it can, then you have a serious security flaw). Reading from the API is perfectly acceptable on the client-side, but not being able to write.

A paradigm here would be something like SNMP. This protocol exists as a UDP (UDP is very efficient, as it is “fire and forget” and does not wait for a response like TCP does) based service which reads performance data from a remote source, thus enabling an application to parse that data for use in a monitoring application. In all cases, SNMP access should be “RO” (Read Only) and not RW (Read Write). It is completely feasible to assume complete control over a firewall for example by having RW access to SNMP and then exposing it to the entire internet with a weak passphrase.

You wouldn’t do it (at least, I hope you wouldn’t) and the same ethic applies to server-side rendering and the execution of commands.

• 1 Votes
    4 Posts

@Vijay-Kumavat-0 I think you’d be better off customising the plugin above to be honest. It seems like you’d be reinventing the wheel otherwise.

I’d modify

/nodebb/node_modules/nodebb-rewards-essentials/lib/conditions.js
    /nodebb/node_modules/nodebb-rewards-essentials/lib/rewards.js

These seem to be the two files that control what is in the dropdown lists.

• 3 Votes
    6 Posts

Seems like Google is finally crawling this site. And, “crawling” in the sense that it’s still extremely slow …

• 6 Votes
    15 Posts

@Hari said in Flarum SEO is worst and i still want to use it 😭:

Flarum is coded in such a way where it tells spiders not to crawl any internal links by adding nofollow tag. How stupid this is

Yes, I agree this doesn’t make any sense. If you compare to WordPress, then (via a plugin of course) you can set the attribute as you wish. It doesn’t make any sense to take a blanket approach. I guess I unerstand why they are doing this, but it’s not an optimum SEO methodology.

@Hari said in Flarum SEO is worst and i still want to use it 😭:

For few minutes i thought i should register a domain called flarumSEOsucks.com

They’d probably sue you for using the Flarum name in a URL 😕