Skip to content

System Crafting

Chitchat
  • @phenomlab Been long time since I used any DE but I would think they would still respect $XDG_HOME/fontconfig/fonts.conf, no? Or maybe Gnome3 over rides it? Hmm… seem to recall some such nonsense… 🤔

The latest and greatest freetype and opentype engines are great, howsomever, so I am nowadays hard pressed to improve upon the default anti-aliasing, hinting, subpixel alignment, etc. to tweak fonts into looking better. Whereas not too many years ago such was derigeur.

All else that is left in the chain is hardware side: gpu and display. I’m on a mid range amdgpu and an Eizo main display w/a dot pitch of .23. So that is pretty nice. Not 4K/5K but plenty of K to be a A-Okay with me.

So from there it pretty much breaks down to subjective stylistic choices: I like slashed zeros but can put up with dotted zeros if the rest of the glyphs trip my triggers. I doubt, however, I could get by without doghouse g’s.
    And other stuff like that font side.

• @gotwf said in System Crafting:

Eizo main display

I’ve not heard from EIZO since I used them in the early 2000’s for CRT monitors

@gotwf said in System Crafting:

Been long time since I used any DE

Wait - are you doing literally everything from command line ?

• @phenomlab said in System Crafting:

Wait - are you doing literally everything from command line ?

Click. 💡

To the extent possible. I use a window manager that is very keybinding centric. Focus on keeping hands/fingers over home row. More efficient when it comes to actually getting things done. Going to mouse is considered a cache miss. Last resort. Excepting web browser. There are some keyboard centric browsers out there but I find I still need one main stream, full bloated enchilada. Hence, I confess to making good use of a trackball to drive firefox… But otherwise, yeah, mostly all cli - what’s not to love?

Else maybe look at it this way: Editor, Terminal, Web Browser. Two out of three are cli driven. Hence my workstation “desktop” is very cli centric.

• @gotwf admittedly, I do everything server wise via CLI - not a DE in sight. However, I’m not sure I could use CLI for everything as that would defeat the purpose of a DE designed for desktop usage, no ?

• @phenomlab Well… it is complicated… My journey is long, not the end all, be all, and likely require a substantial beelog post.

But yeah, as mentioned in one of my bee log articles I linked to somewhere else hereabouts, the big trifecta are 1) Web browser, 2) Terminal, and 3) Editor. Those last two are all command line driven whilst the fist is predominantly gui/rodent driven. Of course there are some one off apps here and there that are predominantly gui driven but they are not part of my daily fare, used to rarely to be of consequence. So, go figure what percentages of time you may spend in each. Maybe, just maybe, that DE is getting in your way more than accelerating productivity? Just maybe… maybe not.

• 10 Votes
    9 Posts

@Panda Great analogy…

• 22 Votes
    16 Posts

here mine 🙂

image.png

• 11 Votes
    4 Posts

happy holidays all
    merry christmas 🎄 🤶

• 8 Votes
    14 Posts

@crazycells Who knows given today’s modern technology.

• 17 Votes
    21 Posts

@crazycells said in Netflix hints at password sharing crackdown:

We love laws, and would pay if we want to watch movies.

I think you’ve hit the nail on the head here - particularly around the point re: privacy. I expect that other people are willing to abide by the laws also, but it’s very easy to see how rising prices will simply fuel the pirate industry even further. Nobody likes to be “ripped off” or “held to ransom”, and there are always going to be those who would rather not pay at all and put up with a poor video image taken in the cinema with someone’s head bobbing up and down, or overhearing someone complain they asked for an ice cream but got a donut… 🙂

The rising costs of viewing material is what is in essence the fuel for the piracy market - not just viewing either - it used to be the case (before digital downloads of music tracks) that people were pirating CD’s because of the cost. With the onset of online music stores, that’s probably a thing of the past - I can’t recall overhearing anyone saying they spend all of their free time searching for mp3’s etc recently, unless I’m out of touch, but the film industry is encouraging piracy with the spiralling costs of attending the cinema etc - not to mention being robbed in broad daylight if you want refreshments.

• Humour

Chitchat
    47 Votes
    26 Posts
    2k Views

20230112_232737.jpg

• 5 Votes
    6 Posts

@DownPW Yes, data protection in the USA is lacklustre to say the least.

• 2 Votes
    17 Posts

@qwinter yes, zoom backgrounds work in Linux also, but only for supported CPU and graphics cards. There’s also green screen support which I haven’t tested, so can’t really comment on it’s effectiveness (also not willing to splash out on a professional green screen which I’d seldom use).

I’ve chosen the Windows 11 primary route for the time being as I unfortunately need the integration. I’m pleasantly surprised by Windows 11 in fact, and it is entirely possible to control the privacy settings - there’s a dedicated section for this.