Skip to content

Linux vs Windows - who wins ?

Blog
  • During an unrelated discussion today, I was asked why I preferred Linux over Windows. The most obvious responses are that Linux does not have any licensing costs (perhaps not the case entirely with RHEL) and is capable of running on hardware much older than Windows10 will readily accept (or run on without acting like a snail). The other seeking point for Linux is that it’s the backbone of most web servers these days running either Apache or NGINX.

The remainder of the discussion centered around the points below;

• Linux is pretty secure out of the box (based on the fact that most distros update as part of the install process), whilst Windows, well, isn’t. Admittedly, there’s an argument for both sides of the fence here - the most common being that Windows is more of a target because of its popularity and market presence - in other words, malware, ransomware, and “whatever-other-nasty-ware” (you fill in the blanks) are typically designed for the Windows platform in order to increase the success and hit rate of any potential campaign to it’s full potential.

• Windows is also a monolithic kernel, meaning it’s installed in it’s entirety regardless of the hardware it sits on. What makes Linux unique is that each module is compiled based on the hardware in the system, so no “bloat” - you are also free to modify the system directly if you don’t like the layout or material design that the developer provided.

• Linux is far superior in the security space. Windows only acquired “run as” in Windows XP, and a “reasonable” UAC environment (the reference to “reasonable” is loose, as it relates to Windows Vista). However, Microsoft were very slow to the gate with this - it’s something that Unix has had for years.

• Possibly the most glaring security hole in Windows systems (in terms of NTFS) is that it can be easily read by the EXT file system in Linux (but not the other way round). And let’s not forget the fact that it’s a simple exercise to break the SAM database on a Windows install with Linux, and reset the local admin account.

• Linux enjoys an open source community where issues reported are often picked up extremely quickly by developers all over the world, resolved, and an update issued to multiple repositories to remediate the issue.

• Windows cannot be run from a DVD or thumb drive. Want to use it ? You’ll have to install it

Linux isn’t perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but I for one absolutely refuse to buy into the Microsoft ecosystem on a personal level - particularly using an operating system that by default doesn’t respect privacy. And no prizes for guessing what my take on Apple is - it’s essentially BSD in an expensive suit.

However, since COVID, I am in fact using Windows 11 at home, but that’s only for the integration. If I had the choice, I would be using Linux. There are a number of applications which I’d consider core that just do not work properly under Linux, and that’s the only real reason as to why I made the decision (somewhat resentfully) to move back to Windows on the home front.

Here’s a thought to leave you with. How many penetration testers do you know that use Windows for vulnerability assessments ?

This isn’t meant to be an “operating system war”. It’s a debate

• 4 Votes
    12 Posts

@Hari Yes, that’s one (of many) I would recommend. It’s going to be easier to do this under Windows and the fact that you are already connected using SMB is a huge plus.

• 0 Votes
    1 Posts
    No one has replied
  • 2 Votes
    3 Posts

@DownPW odd indeed. Looks like it’s spawning, immediately dying, then spawning again.

• 5 Votes
    14 Posts

@phenomlab we are okay with it at this moment but this is what i see

5084e54f-ab2a-4c3a-b76c-1b7ba0ff134f-image.png

@phenomlab said in Windows 11 doesn't support AMD processors...:

GEO block

true when i load using CF VPN it loads fastly

• 1 Votes
    3 Posts

@downpw I’m inclined to agree with the self-development - and the point you make about the lack of certification being seen as a barrier to enter professions.

@downpw said in Experience vs Certification - who wins?:

Because even without experience, if you have an iron will, you can be better than someone who has certification. With more work and effort, certainly, but does it matter?

This is an interesting statement because I knew of several people years ago whom obtained MCSE accreditation, but had never sat in front of a real-life scenario before where they had to fix something - hence, the term, “Paper MCSE”. Essentially, this involves reading a book, then going to do the exam. Some people have that capability where they can retain a bulk load of information, and use that to easily pass an exam - yet have no practical experience.

To me, it’s easy to identify these people. They can give you a text-book answer, but have no ability to prove it physically.

• Environment Variables

Solved Linux
    1 Votes
    8 Posts

@madchatthew great you got this to work ! Thanks for the update.

• 18 Votes
    36 Posts
    2k Views

you are too fast 😉

• 2 Votes
    28 Posts
    2k Views

@phenomlab said in Advantages and disadvantages of changing to Ubuntu?:

@jac Yeah, I wouldn’t just leap into it unless you have a valid reason (such as the laptop no longer working and needing to be reinstalled). Probably better the devil you know currently.

Absolutely mate, and generally as discussed that is the only time I have changed over to Ubuntu once the laptop has got slower.

For now I will carry on with Windows, purchase the VPN & BitDefender in later October / early November and then see how all that runs for a few more months 👍🏻.