• Hi all,

Looking to purchase a router on Amazon that would be better than the current hub Virgin offer.

• @phenomlab said in Virgin router replacement:

@JAC I doubt very much that this will work. I think the Virgin routers are secured using a MAC address which is predefined by the cable operator and registered on their network meaning that device is permitted to access their network.

Any other device is likely not to be registered and therefore will not work. However, there is a workaround. It means that you need to change the operational mode of the Virgin Hub so that it operates in modem only mode. Essentially, this means it passes through traffic to the router you purchased and own.

In a nutshell, you can never simply remove the Virgin Hub. Without it, no internet access. Using your own router gives you more control ultimately, but does also introduce a secondary point of failure or issue should anything go wrong.

Apologies for the late reply.

I’ve agreed a new contract with Virgin for their 1Gig fibre so they are sending out the relevant router and WiFi pods for it. Hopefully this fixes the issue of wanting to buy a replacement (that would piggyback from the virgin router anyway).

• @JAC I doubt very much that this will work. I think the Virgin routers are secured using a MAC address which is predefined by the cable operator and registered on their network meaning that device is permitted to access their network.

Any other device is likely not to be registered and therefore will not work. However, there is a workaround. It means that you need to change the operational mode of the Virgin Hub so that it operates in modem only mode. Essentially, this means it passes through traffic to the router you purchased and own.

In a nutshell, you can never simply remove the Virgin Hub. Without it, no internet access. Using your own router gives you more control ultimately, but does also introduce a secondary point of failure or issue should anything go wrong.

@JAC I doubt very much that this will work. I think the Virgin routers are secured using a MAC address which is predefined by the cable operator and registered on their network meaning that device is permitted to access their network.

Apologies for the late reply.

I’ve agreed a new contract with Virgin for their 1Gig fibre so they are sending out the relevant router and WiFi pods for it. Hopefully this fixes the issue of wanting to buy a replacement (that would piggyback from the virgin router anyway).

• @JAC 1Gb ? 🙂 Wow. You could run the entire street with that.

• Topic has been marked as solved  phenomlab phenomlab 

@JAC 1Gb ? 🙂 Wow. You could run the entire street with that.

Absolutely matey, it was their best offer and comes with a few ‘wifi inelegance’ pods. Which may solve our issue.

• @JAC good luck 🤞

@JAC good luck 🤞

Thanks Mark, will let you know how I get on 👍🏻.

• @JAC said in Virgin router replacement:

@phenomlab said in Virgin router replacement:

@JAC good luck 🤞

Thanks Mark, will let you know how I get on 👍🏻.

Still awaiting Gig router ;).

• @JAC said in Virgin router replacement:

🙂

@JAC said in Virgin router replacement:

The router and speeds have been fantastic (wif based) so far, can’t complain 👍🏻😁

If this thread resolved an issue for you, or was useful, why not buy me a coffee? It's a nice gesture, and there's other ways to donate if you wish 💗

Discover More