Skip to content

iPhone Data and privacy

Privacy
  • Nice to see Apple taking the initiative to finally provide a decent set of controls to protect from tracking, and silent sharing of data

https://www.apple.com/privacy/control/

What’s odd is why it’s taken Apple so long to finally accommodate this when it’s been mainstream in Android for years. As much as I dislike the Apple ecosystem for a number of different reasons, this is quite appealing - further bolstered by the advertising campaign which I noticed during an ad break for a TV series I was watching this evening.

Another interesting thread topic around the whole privacy side of things is here.

Given this new privacy campaign, I’m interested to understand the genesis for this in the sense that privacy advocates have been requesting this from Apple for years, and now suddenly, as if by magic, it’s now available in the latest iOS release.

• Here’s a very useful video that will walk you through the privacy features of Android - mostly around the ones you should disable to get the most out of the experience

• 2 Votes
    4 Posts

@DownPW This won’t be the first time that Amazon and others like them are being bought to account. I recall seeing a documentary on the TV recently where they sent in a reporter with secret cameras to film the strict regimen and constant threat of being fired for not meeting targets that workers are placed under.

The surveillance just takes this to a whole new level in my view and it’s like being placed under a microscope for constant scrutiny. This goes well beyond the surveillance placed on prisoners!

• 12 Votes
    8 Posts

@crazycells good question. Gmail being provided by Google is going to be one of the more secure by default out of the box, although you have to bear in mind that you can have the best security in the world, but that is easily diluted by user decision.

Obviously, it makes sense to secure all cloud based services with at least 2fa protection, or better still, biometric if available, but email still remains vastly unprotected (unless enforced in the sense of 2fa, which I know Sendgrid do) because of user choice (in the sense that users will always go for the path of least resistance when it comes to security to make their lives easier). The ultimate side effect of taking this route is being vulnerable to credentials theft via phishing attacks and social engineering.

The same principle would easily apply to Proton Mail, who also (from memory) do not enforce 2fa. Based on this fact, neither product is more secure than the other without one form of additional authentication at least being imposed.

In terms of direct attack on the servers holding mail accounts themselves, this is a far less common type of attack these days as tricking the user is so much simpler than brute forcing a server where you are very likely to be detected by perimeter security (IDS / IPS etc).

• 4 Votes
    4 Posts

@phenomlab said in TikTok fined £12.7m for misusing children’s data:

Just another reason not to use TikTok. Zero privacy, Zero respect for privacy, and Zero controls in place.

https://news.sky.com/story/tiktok-fined-12-7m-for-data-protection-breaches-12849702

The quote from this article says it all

TikTok should have known better. TikTok should have done better

They should have, but didn’t. Clearly the same distinct lack of core values as Facebook. Profit first, privacy… well, maybe.

Wow, that’s crazy! so glad I stayed away from it, rotten to the core.

• 2 Votes
    3 Posts

@crazycells exactly. Not so long ago, we had the Cambridge Analytica scandal in the UK. Meta (Facebook) seem to be the ultimate “Teflon” company in the sense nothing seems to stick.

• 8 Votes
    14 Posts

@crazycells Who knows given today’s modern technology.

• 1 Votes
    1 Posts
    No one has replied
  • 6 Votes
    28 Posts
    1k Views

@gotwf Great analogy 🙂

• 2 Votes
    12 Posts

And if you ever needed another reason to use a VPN, here it is.

https://news.sky.com/story/google-blinks-first-in-11-month-privacy-showdown-with-uk-regulator-12479198