Skip to content

Google sued for unauthorised use of NHS data

Privacy

• 1 Votes
    1 Posts
    No one has replied
  • 12 Votes
    8 Posts

@crazycells good question. Gmail being provided by Google is going to be one of the more secure by default out of the box, although you have to bear in mind that you can have the best security in the world, but that is easily diluted by user decision.

Obviously, it makes sense to secure all cloud based services with at least 2fa protection, or better still, biometric if available, but email still remains vastly unprotected (unless enforced in the sense of 2fa, which I know Sendgrid do) because of user choice (in the sense that users will always go for the path of least resistance when it comes to security to make their lives easier). The ultimate side effect of taking this route is being vulnerable to credentials theft via phishing attacks and social engineering.

The same principle would easily apply to Proton Mail, who also (from memory) do not enforce 2fa. Based on this fact, neither product is more secure than the other without one form of additional authentication at least being imposed.

In terms of direct attack on the servers holding mail accounts themselves, this is a far less common type of attack these days as tricking the user is so much simpler than brute forcing a server where you are very likely to be detected by perimeter security (IDS / IPS etc).

• Profil Photos

Solved Customisation
    1 Votes
    2 Posts

@cagatay the fastest way to do this would be to modify the auto generated sitemap.xml file so that it does not index users. It might be paint to do the same thing with users in terms of guest permissions.

Let me have a look.

Edit - you can do this with permissions. Go to /admin/manage/privileges then look in the left where it says guests - remove the tick from the view users permission for guests then click save

You can test this out using an incognito or non logged in session. Attempting to view users should then ask you to login.

• 0 Votes
    6 Posts

@DownPW Yes, exactly.

• 3 Votes
    6 Posts

Seems like Google is finally crawling this site. And, “crawling” in the sense that it’s still extremely slow …

• 8 Votes
    13 Posts

@Panda said in Google Pixel announced with eye watering price:

I gave up with it in the end, its now an expensive ornament.
    Its not even a good watch as runs out of battery in less than a day! Lol

Exactly and amen to that. It’s the exact reason as to why I avoid “gadgets” like this 🤭

• 4 Votes
    2 Posts

Here’s a very useful video that will walk you through the privacy features of Android - mostly around the ones you should disable to get the most out of the experience

• 9 Votes
    15 Posts

@crazycells Mmmm - yes, sadly, it is only Android (which I use). There are alternatives, but not sure what they are like
    https://www.topbestalternatives.com/fairemail/ios/