Skip to content

Do you need a degree to succeed?

Moved Blog
  • Here’s a subject that’s close to my heart. I saw a thread on Twitter recently that essentially dismissed those who attended public school as not being worthy of entry into Oxbridge and were effectively “tarnishing the brand” - I kid you not. Here’s the screenshot which piqued my interest, quickly followed by disbelief.

20220507_145406.jpg

And here’s my response to this

Snobbery at its best (or worst, if you prefer). I attended a comprehensive school, didn’t go to college or university, don’t have a degree - but here I am - Director of Information Technology and CISO for a financial organisation. Oh, and I’m also free of the debt mantle…

My point? I attended a comprehensive, didn’t go to college (straight into employment) and didn’t have the funds or other financial means to attend university and get a degree. However, as a shining example of what effort and experience can achieve, I’m a Director of Information Technology, and Chief Information Security Officer for a financial firm in London.

Does that mean I, along with others who attended state school rather than private, and didn’t go to university aren’t fit for purpose? Do you really need a degree to succeed in life?

I have my thoughts on this but would love to hear others. I know @marusaky will have a view on this 🤔

• @phenomlab not going to take her stupid comment seriously 🙂
    that would make her idea worth the time.

some people are living on another planet but writing in our world. 🤣

• @sinanisler so very well put. I’m not taking any notice of this because I’m living proof that it’s bullsh*t !

• FWIW, I agree. I have children and I don’t think universities have a strong value prop, I don’t think I’ll advise them to go to one when the time comes. We need to get this point across: the promise that universities make (come here, invest 5 years of your time, get a job for life) is long gone. That’s unsutstainable. It’s an implicit promise. And people get itchy if they cannot put a degree on their linkedin. But the success of coding bootcamps show that there’s a shorter path.

• @qwinter very well put. Great points and I can certainly align with these. I personally don’t see no university as a barrier to progression. My old boss said that he’d take preference with anyone who had a degree because of their “ability to think logically” (I kid you not). I said “well, you hired me and I don’t have a degree…”.

He paused for a moment realising that he’d literally dug himself a hole and fell in it. He then said “ah yes, but you’re an exception”.

“Exception” or not - it’s still a bigoted reasoning mechanism, and elitist to put it mildly. Class distinction springs to mind here.