Skip to content

Operating System Preference

Chitchat
  • @JAC said in Operating System Preference:

I used to use Open office.

You should take a look at Libre Office. Open Office kind of fell on it’s own sword when it was acquired by Oracle, and Libre Office is the continuing fork of that

https://www.libreoffice.org/

• @phenomlab said in Operating System Preference:

@JAC said in Operating System Preference:

I used to use Open office.

You should take a look at Libre Office. Open Office kind of fell on it’s own sword when it was acquired by Oracle, and Libre Office is the continuing fork of that

https://www.libreoffice.org/

Absolutely mate, I will look into this if and when I make the switch 😁.

It’s definitely a great and free alternative!

• @JAC said in Operating System Preference:

if and when I make the switch

Happy to help with that transition if you ever do decide to take the plunge 🏊

• @phenomlab said in Operating System Preference:

@JAC said in Operating System Preference:

if and when I make the switch

Happy to help with that transition if you ever do decide to take the plunge 🏊

Thank you mate 😁.

• I’m coming back here with something of an update. As much as I love Linux, I’m struggling with the interoperability I need for work which only Windows can provide.

Classic examples are

• Zoom - lack of decent virtual background support and for some strange reason, the microphone and speakers are greyed out. Bizarre
    • Bluejeans - absolutely no virtual background support, and the audio quality is terrible
    • Teams - no virtual background support (that works) and the software is still preview and quite unstable
    • Cisco Jabber - doesn’t work at all in Linux, and trying to configure a SIP endpoint doesn’t work very well with a Cisco Call Manager system
    • RDP passthrough doesn’t work all that well - and if you are looking to pass through a webcam from your Linux installation to Windows, the audio and microprobe will work, but not the video image from the camera. Evidently, to get this to work, you need to have separated microphone and camera devices. Seems very counter productive and not cost effective at all
    • Out of the box experience for Google Drive and OneDrive sync sucks. It just doesn’t work properly.

Based on the fact I recently purchased a new pc, I’m going to have to use the Windows 11 stock image that came with it to get the full integration I need.

Looks like I’m going to be setting up a dual boot system 🤬

• I went ahead and rebuilt my system at home. My new PC is a DELL Optiplex 5090, that came with Windows 11. Anyone who knows me well enough will be under no illusion that I’m a Linux user (for the last 5 years at least) and (previously) refused to use Windows.

However, given the nature of my job requires me to use Windows when working from home for integration with remote systems, KDE (and any other flavour of Linux on the desktop) just wasn’t cutting it for me sadly.

I have to say… Windows 11 is a massive leap in the right direction for me. It’s fast, slick, streamlined, and seems low on memory footprint.

I may just be converted, and I never though I’d say that… 😮

• yeah Windows 11 is good .

@phenomlab said in Operating System Preference:

Looks like I’m going to be setting up a dual boot system 🤬

Or maybe GNU/Linux at principal OS and a Virtual machine for Win11

@phenomlab said in Operating System Preference:

I may just be converted, and I never though I’d say that…

ha ha 😆

• @DownPW said in Operating System Preference:

Or maybe GNU/Linux at principal OS and a Virtual machine for Win11

Sadly, the latency is too high for real-time video. No matter which virtualization you use, the video is choppy and the audio isn’t great either. In view of this, it’s unusable, which means Windows has to be primary.

• I’m on Manjaro Linux for the last few years and everything is d**n smooth. I thought I’d never say this, but linux desktop is problem free nowadays.

When I use a windows PC and I see ads for Disney plus on the start button menu, I shake my head and remember this movie:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0387808/

Where the general population had ads around the frame of their TVs.

Not to mention privacy is ear impossible on Win.

Hard pass. It’s worth it to fight it. No background on zoom for me (before! now it works! Have you tried it recently?)

• @qwinter yes, zoom backgrounds work in Linux also, but only for supported CPU and graphics cards. There’s also green screen support which I haven’t tested, so can’t really comment on it’s effectiveness (also not willing to splash out on a professional green screen which I’d seldom use).

I’ve chosen the Windows 11 primary route for the time being as I unfortunately need the integration. I’m pleasantly surprised by Windows 11 in fact, and it is entirely possible to control the privacy settings - there’s a dedicated section for this.