Skip to content

What system did you first use?

General
  • I thought it would be good to start a thread so all on here can reveal the first systems they used 🙂 I’ll start…

My interests in programming actually started in 1984 (yes, I suppose there is a parallel with George Orwell’s novel, but it wasn’t intended) and I started out on one of these

bbc.jpg

At the time, my year of school was the very first to sit the new GCSE. My Computer Studies teacher offered me a chance to write my own application for my exam, so I did. It was in tandem with the Geography department, who at the time, were studying rainfall over the course of a 6 month period. I collected rainfall data every day (I distinctly recall having to go into school an hour earlier to do this every day), and then added that to a database. I then wrote a front-end (all in BASIC) that allowed you to query the database, and return results. When printed, the entire program list stretched 5 lengths of the classroom! The final part was for me to highlight the various sections of the printout to explain what they did, and why they were there.

I have fond memories of this. It was DOT Matrix 3-part NCR paper, printed by a Daisy Wheel. For those who aren’t sure of what that looks like, here it is.

printer.jpg

Oh, I remember this well. It printed NLQ (Near Letter Quality) - long before fonts were even a thing. It was as noisy as hell - and S U P E R slow 🙂

I submitted my program, and got an A 🙂

Our school was a bit behind the times in terms of hardware. At home, I had one of these

amstrad.jpg

This is the machine that I actually learned BASIC on. For those interest in what BASIC stands for, it’s Beginner’s All Purpose Symbolic Instruction Code

I spent HOURS writing code on this machine. One of the “applications” I wrote was over 5,000 lines - at the time, this was unprecedented, and in fact, the computer crashed because it ran out of memory as soon as you typed run…

Oh, those were the days. Seriously though, looking back on this now, it’s amazing how far technology has advanced.

What systems did you use ?

• My first system I use is an Atari Mega STe.

I played games with it and work on mathematic software 🙂

0fe66d7c-2095-43a7-8534-5c0ad2d8da85-image.png

• @downpw wow. I definitely remember the Atari ST. One of my favourite games was R-type 👍

• me i twas :

• North & South Les tuniques bleues
    • golden Axe
    • The Secret of Monkey Island
    • Ghosts 'n Goblins

R-type was a very good shoot 'em up 🙂

• @downpw yeah, loved R-Type but Golden Axe brings back so many memories !

• My first system was hp 4000 , then followed by hp folio 9470m, i have used hp for a very longtime. Its the best ever machine i learned windows with it, 25 yrs in same background.

• @Sala An era I recall well. I used the predecessor, before HP acquired Compaq - and this was back in 1997 😲

s-l1600.jpg

Pentium I 166mhz MX

• @phenomlab lol dont make me laugh, pentium 😄
    The cd drive was in high demand 🤭… php was not so popular. XML was the main thing! Pentium has been a walkthrough for all of us.

• @phenomlab do you still have it? The picture looks fresh. It could sale big maybe in 2050’s 🤔

• @Sala heh, MMX technology was bleeding edge at that time! And yes, the CD-ROM was king until the DVD came along and stole it’s crown. I distinctly remember running Windows 95 on these machines, then (with a memory upgrade) Windows NT4 Workstation with service pack 3.

They also made a small form factor model with no floppy disk (yeah, I’m that old) and the only 2 ways to get an operating system on it were network boot or cloning a hard disk in another system then installing that into the one without the floppy.

We avoided those like the plague.

• @phenomlab there’s one guy who i knew back then, he was able to collect all torn pieces of floppy black disc and put them together and make it read.

Computer skills

• @Sala impressive. That’s actually a lot harder than it looks. I once worked for a trading firm in the 90s and a trader came to me with a corrupted floppy disk demanding I get it to work.

Evidently, it had all of his trading positions on it and he had no backup 😧 and he wasn’t impressed when I told him that the chances of data recovery were less than zero.

• 12 Votes
    17 Posts

@phenomlab lol yeap, very smart… I read it and immediately ask the same question to ChatGPT and saved the letter sample 😄

I might use it in the future.

• 3 Votes
    13 Posts

@DownPW Hmm - it’ll work with iFramely (locally hosted), or you can use the below string to embed using https://community.nodebb.org/topic/7135/nodebb-plugin-ns-embed-ns-embed/114

Watch (?:<a.*?)?(?:https?:\/\/)?(?:www\.)?dailymotion\.com\/video\/([a-zA-Z0-9_-]{4,11})(?:.*?\/a>)? Replace <div class='embed-wrapper'><div class='embed-container'><iframe src='//www.dailymotion.com/embed/video/$1' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen></iframe></div></div>

4f5f13f7-0c73-460e-b32f-f974f170b236-image.png

• 6 Votes
    15 Posts

@Hari said in Flarum SEO is worst and i still want to use it 😭:

Flarum is coded in such a way where it tells spiders not to crawl any internal links by adding nofollow tag. How stupid this is

Yes, I agree this doesn’t make any sense. If you compare to WordPress, then (via a plugin of course) you can set the attribute as you wish. It doesn’t make any sense to take a blanket approach. I guess I unerstand why they are doing this, but it’s not an optimum SEO methodology.

@Hari said in Flarum SEO is worst and i still want to use it 😭:

For few minutes i thought i should register a domain called flarumSEOsucks.com

They’d probably sue you for using the Flarum name in a URL 😕

• 3 Votes
    3 Posts

@downpw Yes, exactly. Sudonix is about much more than NodeBB 🙂

• 0 Votes
    1 Posts
    No one has replied
  • 100 Votes
    139 Posts
    11k Views

@phenomlab well, yeah, I guess this is possible, and you would know much more about this since you are a security expert. They have to take a lot of precautions for this not to happen. I am only talking about the biology perspective, and to me, this hacking would more likely affect the movements of the muscles only rather than cause any cognitive effect. Because this device is basically just sensing the activity on brain and interprets it and relay the information as movement… I am not sure if this is working in reverse… I do not think they have showed us this so far…

• 0 Votes
    1 Posts
    No one has replied
  • 3 Votes
    9 Posts

@Sala Yes, I personally use Edge. Hated Internet Exploder (misspell intentional) but seeing as Edge is Chromium and Webkit backed, it works for me.