Skip to content

WordPress site

General
  • @jac said in WordPress site:

@jac said in WordPress site:

@phenomlab said in WordPress site:

@jac enjoy. Feel free to ask questions of course. There’s also a good level of support on their forums
    https://forum.ghost.org

Looking good… Just looking for themes 🤞🏻 to find some.

https://gbjsolution.com/ghost-themes/reditory/

Going back to this, having had a pretty extensive look for themes this probably is the best one for what I need it for.

always liked the look of it but so costly to run I believe.

No, actually you can self host Discourse - see below

https://sudonix.com/topic/86/nodebb-vs-discourse/7?_=1643973071754

The problem with this is that it is based on Ruby and requires it’s own “docker” container. Not a simple setup to maintain if you’re a beginner.

• @phenomlab said in WordPress site:

always liked the look of it but so costly to run I believe.

No, actually you can self host Discourse - see below

https://sudonix.com/topic/86/nodebb-vs-discourse/7?_=1643973071754

The problem with this is that it is based on Ruby and requires it’s own “docker” container. Not a simple setup to maintain if you’re a beginner.

Thanks for the link mate.

I do like it but I think it’s best to stick with NodeBB 😉.

@jac enjoy. Feel free to ask questions of course. There’s also a good level of support on their forums
    https://forum.ghost.org

Looking good… Just looking for themes 🤞🏻 to find some.

https://gbjsolution.com/ghost-themes/reditory/

Going back to this, having had a pretty extensive look for themes this probably is the best one for what I need it for.

Without setting out a big list the main thing I would require from Ghost is:

• A nice theme

• Good intergration of plugins

• Ability to import RSS feeds

• A wierd one, but to have it looking like and functioning like a football site, with widgets, league table etc.

Ability to import RSS feeds

See this
    https://ghost.org/integrations/custom-rss/

Good intergration of plugins

The list of “plugins” isn’t extensive for Ghost - can you elaborate a bit more on what the requirements would be ?

A wierd one, but to have it looking like and functioning like a football site, with widgets, league table etc.

Certainly possible, but may require custom code

See this

Official Ghost + Custom RSS Integration

I believe this is only if you wish to create a new RSS feed for your content?

Certainly possible, but may require custom code

Thanks mate.

• So forum.domain.com will host the forum and the main site a domain.com will hopefully import RSS feeds and articles written by myself and hopefully others ( something which I wanted to do with a general football website) and alongside that will have a fixtures page and league table, tickets information, fan information etc just like the forum pages do currently.

I believe this is only if you wish to create a new RSS feed for your content?

Yes, you’re correct. Sorry

So forum.domain.com will host the forum and the main site a domain.com will hopefully import RSS feeds and articles written by myself and hopefully others ( something which I wanted to do with a general football website) and alongside that will have a fixtures page and league table, tickets information, fan information etc just like the forum pages do currently.

Yes, that sounds fine.

Yes, you’re correct. Sorry

Not a problem 👍🏻.

Yes, that sounds fine.

Maybe build up and do a podcast with it, prediction league etc.

Yes, that sounds fine.

Maybe build up and do a podcast with it, prediction league etc.

Baby steps at first of course! It’ll be a new system for me, one which is more set up for bloggers but hopefully it’ll work out for me as a football (county) based site.

I just need to find the right domain and have a good think whether this sort of thing is needed.

• @jac No issues. Let me know !

@jac No issues. Let me know !

Thanks mate.

It’ll take:

• A new domain

• Getting to learn a new system (although by the sounds of it it’s relatively easy)

• A lot of patience 😉

• Finding a way to import RSS feeds

• Setting up forum on a sub domain

• CSS changes

• Links to the forum at the bottom of posts?

• And more…

Like I said above, I need to see if all this is necessary. There isn’t any blogs/ news sites so there is scope but do people really want to read content anymore? I fear not.

@jac No issues. Let me know !

Thanks mate.

It’ll take:

• A new domain

• Getting to learn a new system (although by the sounds of it it’s relatively easy)

• A lot of patience 😉

• Finding a way to import RSS feeds

• Setting up forum on a sub domain

• CSS changes

• Links to the forum at the bottom of posts?

• And more…

Like I said above, I need to see if all this is necessary. There isn’t any blogs/ news sites so there is scope but do people really want to read content anymore? I fear not.

Basically a site that includes all content in one place.

• @jac I personally think this is a good idea. The hardest part is traction. Whilst the concept you have is pretty unique in the sense that nobody else is doing it, as you know there are a wealth of other sites offering a hub for similar information. You just need to find the competitive edge that will compel users to return on a frequent basis.

Often this is in the form of content they can’t get anywhere else. Whilst it’s all well and good having feeds from other sites, etc, your own content, or your own unique insight into a field of expertise or knowledge can place you above the crowd and make you stand out.

It’s the old adage of “content is king”, and given how popular the chosen field is, getting fresh content out there isn’t going to be easy - particularly given the plethora of available information sources these days.

Often this is in the form of content they can’t get anywhere else. Whilst it’s all well and good having feeds from other sites, etc, your own content, or your own unique insight into a field of expertise or knowledge can place you above the crowd and make you stand out.

This is going to be the hardest part of it, I’m not close to any sources in the club to gain information or scoops, and although there aren’t really any county blogs/ news sites out there at the moment it’s still a difficult task that could generally have no traction at all.

The only thing you can do that is different is interview fans of other clubs that you are going to play next and write that into a blog article or audio.

Whilst feeding in content is ideal for the case of ‘having everything under one roof’ there is the need for the site to produce it’s own content and it’s very hard to see how that’s going to be possible.

• @jac exactly. If the site doesn’t have its own content, its not unique in any form and that same information you are offering can easily be obtained elsewhere - typically from the source you obtain it from.

There’s also the plagiarism aspect, and attribution.

If you were running the site as a primary income based and had the time to interview players, fans, pundits etc, then great - however, I know this is a secondary “job” so any free time you would have left typically is going to be absorbed instantly which doesn’t create the best home life either.

I toyed with the same thoughts over the years. Yes, I have something unique in terms of my skillset, but the cyber security thing has been “done to death” in the sense that is the ultimate cash bandwagon everyone wants to jump on. This platform however is different. Yes, there’s other forums that offer help, but not to the level on offer here.

Without some form of cross promotion (ideally from county themselves), organic growth will take years and can be very frustrating when all of your own hard work is seldom viewed and often overlooked for more established sources.

I’m not trying to put you off, but this isn’t an overnight thing. I tried this with phenomlab years ago, and it just didn’t bite. Then, there was metabullet which was generally ok, but was seen as a one stop Flarum shop which isn’t what I originally intended it to be.

Truthfully, I came up with sudonix as a way of breaking free from that, and in all honesty, it was going to be my very last attempt to create a platform that offered the full breadth of my accumulated knowledge. If that didn’t take, I was going to call it a day.

Thankfully, sudonix in fact has exceeded my expectations, and has been quite the success story. It’s small, but niche - and dare I say it, currently unique.

What I’m trying to say here is perseverance is key, but never trade the success of a site against family life because it’s not worth it. I don’t feel the need to constantly write articles (although I do have some great topics for discussion) as an “on tap” technical resource. My view is that people are looking for help, not lectures.

@jac exactly. If the site doesn’t have its own content, its not unique in any form and that same information you are offering can easily be obtained elsewhere - typically from the source you obtain it from.

There’s also the plagiarism aspect, and attribution.

If you were running the site as a primary income based and had the time to interview players, fans, pundits etc, then great - however, I know this is a secondary “job” so any free time you would have left typically is going to be absorbed instantly which doesn’t create the best home life either.

I toyed with the same thoughts over the years. Yes, I have something unique in terms of my skillset, but the cyber security thing has been “done to death” in the sense that is the ultimate cash bandwagon everyone wants to jump on. This platform however is different. Yes, there’s other forums that offer help, but not to the level on offer here.

Without some form of cross promotion (ideally from county themselves), organic growth will take years and can be very frustrating when all of your own hard work is seldom viewed and often overlooked for more established sources.

I’m not trying to put you off, but this isn’t an overnight thing. I tried this with phenomlab years ago, and it just didn’t bite. Then, there was metabullet which was generally ok, but was seen as a one stop Flarum shop which isn’t what I originally intended it to be.

Truthfully, I came up with sudonix as a way of breaking free from that, and in all honesty, it was going to be my very last attempt to create a platform that offered the full breadth of my accumulated knowledge. If that didn’t take, I was going to call it a day.

Thankfully, sudonix in fact has exceeded my expectations, and has been quite the success story. It’s small, but niche - and dare I say it, currently unique.

What I’m trying to say here is perseverance is key, but never trade the success of a site against family life because it’s not worth it. I don’t feel the need to constantly write articles (although I do have some great topics for discussion) as an “on tap” technical resource. My view is that people are looking for help, not lectures.

I completely understand every word of what you’ve said mate I really do, many similarities between what you have said and why a few of my old efforts shut down. The best way maybe to stick with the forum possibly moving it to something more memorable and something that rolls off the tongue, and then implement what I can, few design changes, a logo, RSS parser to import news & videos and then try and drive it from there once things like that are in place.

• @jac Agreed. I think I’d take the below steps

1. Establish (if possible) a “killer” domain name - something short (again if possible), on point, easy to remember, and most importantly, easy to pronounce
    2. Implement design changes - my advice would not be to align the colour scheme to county. Make references to them of course for backlink purposes, but don’t make it a carbon copy - otherwise, it’s “just another county” site - you need to make it stand out. Have a look what others are doing, and try to leverage their selling point. It’s not the colours, or layout

03483f27-9eb1-4051-809e-884bdde588b7-image.png

For example, https://footballclubforums.com/ is the first in a Google search, but look at the layout and overall navigation. In all honesty, it’s not taking anyone’s breath away is it? However, the layout is simple, easy to read, and isn’t tough on the eyes.

Now in contrast, look at Cardiff City - https://www.ccmb.co.uk/forum.php

795f7e61-f5b8-408e-8047-f7c9d002e7a9-image.png

This is your archetypal old fashioned PHP based forum (like phpBB). What’s abundantly clear here is that despite the garish layout, the user base is huge.

dd24edca-89fb-494f-a593-52273583a267-image.png

This boils down to one factual point - content. Ask yourself why you would take feeds from other sites like this when the visitor can simply go to the same source as you have - and as an enthusiast, is probably already a member. Here, the content is being driven by the members themselves. For example, one member posts a topic for discussion, and then that same topic is then fed by other members adding their comments, thoughts, etc. Essentially, it’s self-generating and doesn’t need intervention from site owners. The content is 100% organic.

One thing I usually do in order to see how a site has grown over time is to look at the Wayback Machine

https://web.archive.org

As you can see here, Cardiff’s forum has grown exponentially since it’s inception in 2016

52844ad8-83f4-4211-aad9-238ae2f25a86-image.png

Here’s another good example. I’ve been a member of this particular forum for years

https://forums.cacti.net

But, look at their stats

e3469ff8-11cd-4ea1-894d-caedfb71adcc-image.png

Even with the onset of Social Media, the period of 2012-2018 was exceptionally active and if you were a user of this site, you’d know why. It’s because the information held here is not available anywhere else.

Now the hard part for you. You need to identify exactly what hasn’t been done before - a gap that hasn’t been filled, and then, well - fill it 🙂