Skip to content

Which product is the best for VPN?

Configure
  • @JAC Yes, am still comparing two (final) two - NordVPN, and ExpressVPN

• I’ve opted to renew NordVPN for another 2 years. Bottom line is that it’s the best out there (for my needs), and certainly one of the very few that has actually had an independent audit to confirm that they have a no logging policy in place.

• @phenomlab said in Which product is the best for VPN?:

I’ve opted to renew NordVPN for another 2 years. Bottom line is that it’s the best out there (for my needs), and certainly one of the very few that has actually had an independent audit to confirm that they have a no logging policy in place.

Great to hear mate, it’s absolutely the best ranked so it’s a wise choice. 👍🏻.

• @JAC said in Which product is the best for VPN?:

@phenomlab said in Which product is the best for VPN?:

I’ve opted to renew NordVPN for another 2 years. Bottom line is that it’s the best out there (for my needs), and certainly one of the very few that has actually had an independent audit to confirm that they have a no logging policy in place.

Great to hear mate, it’s absolutely the best ranked so it’s a wise choice. 👍🏻.

Just out of interest how much was that mate for the two years? I presume because you’ve stuck with them they’ve given you a good deal?

• @JAC Not really. Turned out to be over £70 by the time VAT was added, but it doesn’t expire until November 2024, so I’m happy with that. Makes the overall deal as below

07d7c5b6-e357-426c-8c57-772528dc394e-image.png

Essentially, £1.48 per month so a bargain in the sense that I don’t need to worry about it for another 2 years !

@JAC Not really. Turned out to be over £70 by the time VAT was added, but it doesn’t expire until November 2024, so I’m happy with that. Makes the overall deal as below

07d7c5b6-e357-426c-8c57-772528dc394e-image.png

Essentially, £1.48 per month so a bargain in the sense that I don’t need to worry about it for another 2 years !

Looks like an absolute bargain matey 👏🏻👏🏻.

• @JAC Absolutely.

• Anyone following this thread and on a budget, Windscribe offers a completely free VPN client. If course there are limitations, but it’s functional for the most part
    https://windscribe.com/features/use-for-free

• phenomlabundefined phenomlab referenced this topic on
  • One thing I just realized is that you have to trust your VPN provider, and that there’s not much of a reason to trust them more than say your internet provider (which I guess you are trying to avoid).

So I’m not sold on the idea of using a VPN for everything.

Beyond that, in practical terms, I had problems with both NordVPN and wireshark for day to day activities. Zoom for example didn’t work with them.

• @qwinter Odd. Zoom works fine for me and I’m using NordVPN. After extensive research, I found that NordVPN are the only ones to survive and pass an independent audit to attest that they do not keep logs, or sell your browsing history.

• I no longer trust Express VPN, my IP appeared to be showing 3 different IPs basically.

Nord keeps logging me out and sending notifications all the time to purchase other products?

Surfshark is a good alternative but their kill switch is so unpredictable, sometimes you have to disconnect and reconnect the internet twice to get Surfshark to make a connection again.

So for the last few weeks I’ve switched to Proton, something kept taking me back there ;).

So far so good, it just simply does the basics well, always connects as it should, always shows the correct IP and I feel a greater trust in Proton VPN.

The only thing I would say is there’s no kill switch and a lack of features on the Android TV & FireTV apps as it’s fairly new on them devices, I believe this is in the pipeline to be added so it isn’t really too much of an issue.

• @JAC interesting you should mention this again. I never was completely happy with ExpressVPN, so never pursued it beyond a one-month trial. My go-to product still remains as NordVPN, although I have noticed some unexpected behaviour around suddenly logging out of the VPN itself, or simply disconnecting, which is a concern.

Having said that, I am also seriously looking at Proton VPN. The Android implementation just works without issue, but NordVPN has secure file transfer and VPN for TOR browser, which sets it apart from others.

I’ll be raising these issues with NordVPN support shortly.

• @phenomlab The thing is I’ve tried what they say are the top 3 VPNs - Nord, Express & Surfshark.

All perform differently as you’d expect but overtime I have seen little things with each that do raise concerns.

Express VPN as mentioned above seemed to show three different locations for the one supposed IP that I was connected to.

Nord keeps logging me out randomly and disconnections are becoming more and more frequent.

Surfshark i[censored] and miss whether it actually connects or not, so you put your mobile data on or WIFI, if set to Auto-connect ideally Surfshark or any other VPN should be connecting pretty much straight away when connection is established. I didn’t see this, I saw it work great and then other times it wouldn’t connect, I’d have to go into the app then it would connect.

So as above in thread, I’m not with Proton. Don’t get me wrong it won’t be perfect and is always improving but so far it just does the basics well which is what I wanted out of the VPNs mention above.

Proton just feels that much more like they care about Privacy, you get the sense it’s not false but genuine and I see no reason not to put my trust in them, with scepticism of course but a brand you feel you can trust over let’s say Kape.

All in all, so far so good 👍

• @JAC said in Which product is the best for VPN?:

Nord keeps logging me out randomly and disconnections are becoming more and more frequent.

This is EXACTLY my issue - very annoying.

@JAC said in Which product is the best for VPN?:

Proton just feels that much more like they care about Privacy, you get the sense it’s not false but genuine and I see no reason not to put my trust in them, with scepticism of course but a brand you feel you can trust over let’s say Kape.

Yes, being a Swiss based firm, privacy is #1 on their agenda. The pricing doesn’t appear too steep in my view. I have a subscription (paid in advance) with NordVPN until November 2024, so over a year’s worth yet to use. However, I may try Proton VPN on my Android device. My only observation with the free plan is 3 locations - Netherlands, US, and Japan - obviously, the UK is the primary choice for latency reasons alone.

• @jac I’m trialling for one month using Proton VPN. I really like its simplicity, and it seems very stable - time will tell of course. I’ve also installed it on my phone. One thing I have immediately noticed is that there is a VPN accelerator, which works very well and certainly does dramatically improve speed.

I’ll post back here with results.

• @JAC ok, so I’m back here already. I’m glad I only opted for one month of Proton VPN because…

• The performance is lacklustre to say the least 😱
    • It’s as slow as hell which makes it almost unusable for day to day operations 😠
    • I also saw that the servers in the list had high loads - some around 80% meaning speed was being severely impacted 😮
    • Split Tunnel does not seem to work at all 😧

There is also the issue that Proton VPN has a number of functions I’d consider basic that are missing - and I cannot really “do without them”. Based on this, I’ve uninstalled this product, and gone back to NordVPN. For the few faults it has, it is light years ahead of Proton VPN.

@JAC ok, so I’m back here already. I’m glad I only opted for one month of Proton VPN because…

• The performance is lacklustre to say the least 😱
    • It’s as slow as hell which makes it almost unusable for day to day operations 😠
    • I also saw that the servers in the list had high loads - some around 80% meaning speed was being severely impacted 😮
    • Split Tunnel does not seem to work at all 😧

There is also the issue that Proton VPN has a number of functions I’d consider basic that are missing - and I cannot really “do without them”. Based on this, I’ve uninstalled this product, and gone back to NordVPN. For the few faults it has, it is light years ahead of Proton VPN.

I’m yet to test it on PC pal, but on Android & Android TV it works fine and as it should.

As for Windows/ Mac etc I can’t comment on that but I do apologise if I’ve lead you down the wrong path.

I believe it has great potential and I’ve been following their updates closely, whilst saying that there are some features missing on Android TV & Firestick which I am told are coming soonish.

It’s frustrating that you’ve installed so quickly but it’s completely understandable, you know if it’s right for you 👍.

• @JAC Yes, it’s a pity really - I suppose I expected more. It’s not so much the lack of features, but the overall slowness and overloading of servers which is the primary concern. Ultimately, it means I can’t use it in the way I want to, which IS a show stopper.

@JAC Yes, it’s a pity really - I suppose I expected more. It’s not so much the lack of features, but the overall slowness and overloading of servers which is the primary concern. Ultimately, it means I can’t use it in the way I want to, which IS a show stopper.

I do apologise mate for that, like I say I’m yet to test on PC, but for Android TV & Mobile I find it works perfectly as it should.

• @JAC not at all mate. I took the decision to text it but it just didn’t work out how I expected. The real joy is that I spent 0.50€ so will get the rest back as a refund when I request it.